The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this morning, I had just made myself a nice hot cup of coffee. I walked past my one remaining tank, and I noticed one of my male Sinapore shrimp was doing back-flips into one of the corners of the tank (no, that's not funny). I said to myself, "What the ***?" and turned on the light. To my horror, I found 2 dead Sinapore shrimp, 6 dead snowball shrimp, 4 dying Sinapore shrimp, 8 Singapore attempting to leave the tank, 1 Amano shrimp attempting to hike back to Japan, a dying dwarf crayfish, and 14 fish gulping at the water surface. Luckily, I had bought a 10 gallon tank to repair a MetaFrame. I filled it with water, and while it was filling, I started scooping out the alive and dying. A friend of mine gave me some cycled filter media.

So, I spent all flippin' day long cleaning out the tank, cleaning the filter (Eheim 2213), setting up an egg tumbler (thanks mbovinet) for the 2 batches of shrimp eggs I stripped from 2 snowball shrimp females, setting up a 10 gallon, replanting my 30 gallon long, and all sorts of fun stuff. I feel like I was hit by a bus! This post probably reads weird, but I am dead tired, and I am off to my coffin now.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm so sorry....that really sucks. :( What do you think happened in there? Running CO2? Hopefully your lil troopers will pull through. :)

Egg tumbler? Can you describe when you get the opportunity?

Hang in there... :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
i know the feeling yesterday i came home to 10 floating guppies and all my shimp dead except for one rainbow shrimp and one cherry that really sucked. turns out my c02 paintball tank loosened up and emptied intire 9oz tank full of co2 to the fish tank. i paniced did a 70% water change and placed an air pump. now i feel guilty for going to Coachella in Palm Springs.

·
Registered
674 Posts
hehe i came home one day to co2 gassed fish, it was funny and sad at the same time...lucky all of them survived

·
Registered
803 Posts
Oh, MAN! Horrible! Here's hoping the ones still alive have all survived!

·
Banned
579 Posts
Did you do a water change recently? The back flipping sounds like either heat related or chlorine/chloramine poisoning.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Definitely sounds like poisoning of some sorts. Are you running CO2 in that tank? What is the oxygen situation? Are you feeding them your homemade food?

-Ryan

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Annie, If your coffin is thrown into a large body of water just make sure it follows the rule of the golden triangle. Can I come with you?

-Andrew

Seriously, can it get any worse? Really sorry to hear about this!

·
Banned
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had performed a water change 2 days before the "occurence". I age my water for one week with Prime, and do religious weekly water changes. I do 50% water changes. I did get some new plants for the tank the day before the "occurence". I didn't clean the plants--I never do. The plants that I put in the tank were a fine leaved plant, and I assuming the dead leaves clogged the filter overnight and the filter kicked back on and poisoned the tank? I did check the water parameters, and there was 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 40 ppm nitrates. I am thinking nitrate poisoning is what did in the shrimp.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had performed a water change 2 days before the "occurence". I age my water for one week with Prime, and do religious weekly water changes. I do 50% water changes. I did get some new plants for the tank the day before the "occurence". I didn't clean the plants--I never do. The plants that I put in the tank were a fine leaved plant, and I assuming the dead leaves clogged the filter overnight and the filter kicked back on and poisoned the tank? I did check the water parameters, and there was 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 40 ppm nitrates. I am thinking nitrate poisoning is what did in the shrimp.
Yes it could very well have been the nitrates. You should definitely clean all plants before putting them in.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Nitrates are usually a slower death though. Although shrump are finicky, no doubt. Sounds more like something sudden. Also, the fact that there is any ammonia at all leads me to believe you have some water quality issues goin on there. Just keep goin with the water changes.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Perhaps something contaminated the water during the aging process. How do you age it? Open top container?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Anne, I wonder if the new plants may have contained insecticides/pesticides on accident or on purpose from the grower.

I have gotten all my plants from local tank keepers, not stores, and never had a problem.

Edit: I saw some plants at the pet store the other day. They said "Guarenteed snail free". I'm betting this means they were doused in concentrated copper sulfate or a copper-based snail medicine. Better rinse those off before introducing into an invert tank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow. This situation is very familiar. It all started about 2 months ago when I order a small anubais petite nana from an online dealer. Instead of being the responsible owner, I immediately inserted the plant into my 10 gallon RCS shrimp tank. On the 2nd night, I noticed that all the RCS were huddled together in a big ball. I instantly knew something was wrong and did a 25% water change. When I awoke the next morning, to my horror, the shrimp were dying in masses. I immediately scooped up the more energtic shimp ( around 20 or so) and put them into my Q-tank. I continued doing partial water changes but the remaining shrimp continued to die. After about 4 days, I only had about 10 remaining shrimp in the tank which, before the incident, housed around 125. In the meantime, the lone Otto seemed fine and remained darting around the tank. Well, after 2 months of waiting and testing, I've slowly re-introudced the remaining shrimp from the Q-tank. So far so good and life seems back to normal for them. As for the cause, I will never know but I suspect it to be from the plant I purchased. It may have contained some pesticides or something similar. As far as the tank itself, it has been up and running for over 10 months with routine water changes. It is heavily planted and I use Seachem products. I first thought (still in the back of my head) that the fertilizers may have caused the massive deaths. I contacted Seachem and they assured me that the products are safe. May or may not be true, whatever. Anyways, I was really sad and almost quit on the shrimp but I am hppy that they are making a comeback. I have learned my lesson the hard way!

·
Banned
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was and am still feeding them my homemade food, and it had never caused a a problem.

I failed to mention that I was dosing dry ferts (GW) in the tank, and I have since stopped.

I put the powerhead back on the tank, cleaned the filter, emptied the tank of all plants driftwood, and everything to remove and find any other shrimp that may have been hiding. I also took the chance to see if my daughter or someone had put something into the tank, and I found nothing.

In all, I lost 6 snowball shrimp (2 were carrying eggs), 2 Atyopsis moluccensis, and 1 dwarf crayfish. Luckily, my female dwarf cray didn't drop her eggs.

I had moved 14 fish, 12 Atyopsis moluccensis, around 40 snowball shrimp, and Amano shrimp, and 1 dwarf cray all in a 10 gallon. (Don't try this at home!)

I have since stopped dosing ferts, re-scaped the tank, re-cycled the tank, and moved most of everyone back into the tank. So far, so good (knock on wood).

I age my water in a closed plastic trash can that has only ever been used for aging water. I age it for a week with Prime and run a powerhead in it. I've been doing the same regime for many months with no problems, and I was aging my water for a week with Prime in about 40 one gallon milk jugs for nearly a year prior, again, with no problems (except for a back ache).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had all of my CRS and Cherry shrimps die a day after I added new plants from a store that just received a new shipment of plants. In addition, I gave some of my extra plants (in the same bag) to my friend and all of his shrimps also died the next day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts