The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some advice. Over the last year I've lost probably 15 angles and a few L144s. About a month ago I noticed the remaining 3 L144s had had babies so I thought everything was fine.

Went to one of the big box pet shops and noticed their neon tetras were
$1.00 each. I got 6. The next morning all but 1 neon was dead along with one of my L144s. The next day the last neon and another L144 was dead. Also couldn't find any of the 5 baby L144s I had previously counted.

I'm thinking about tearing down the tank and sterilizing it. Getting rid of the sand and boil the rocks and driftwood.

Now my question is, can I save my plants? I know it's only some crypts and anubis, but I only started with a few and over the last 2 years or so I've grown a tank full. Hate to toss them. Can I dip or treat them with something?

Thanks in advance, Michael

·
Registered
494 Posts
i had a tank of death too... sterilized it...didn't work ...

so i tore it back down (it's only 2 gallons) sterilized it again, ran UV on it... prayed over it... did a vodo chant or two... paid tribute to the fish gods ... so far... so good

good luck...

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I hope you set up a QT from now on. You don't have to do anything that drastic. Just see if your fish pull through and if they don't leave the tank set up and running but fallow with no fish and don't add ANYTHING for a few months. If it's bacterial, parasitic or whatever it can't survive without a host. Leaving a tank empty and running for 4-6 months should hopefully help.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
i had a tank of death too... sterilized it...didn't work ...

so i tore it back down (it's only 2 gallons) sterilized it again, ran UV on it... prayed over it... did a vodo chant or two... paid tribute to the fish gods ... so far... so good

good luck...
Gave me a good laugh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
was it the petco? they had a tetra sale recently and i dont know but the stock is freaking horrible. Ive gone through 15 and i KNOW its not my water... and no amount of acclimation will help it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You would be surprised how quickly 1 sick fish can effect another. I would suggest just starting with new fish. Try to avoid Petco. In my experience their fish die. I think the longest I have owned a fish from them is a month.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You would be surprised how quickly 1 sick fish can effect another. I would suggest just starting with new fish. Try to avoid Petco. In my experience their fish die. I think the longest I have owned a fish from them is a month.
I have a fish from petco that's 4yrs old at the moment. It all depends on the store, I only go to one of there stores in my area because they have people who actually understand/know about fish. The other petcos suck lol. I recommend getting a x-ray pristella tetra they are very hardy and forgiving (that's the one that is 4yrs old with a few others that are 3yrs). But you need to have a lower PH if you want to successfully keep most tetras 6.0 is the best (mine is 5.5).

1 sick fish can cause a massive loss, I lost $50 worth of fish in a week from a severe fungal infection (I was not prepared for it though this happened when I was just getting into the hobby

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
if i were you, i would rinse the plants well in your sink, and then plant them in an emersed setup with no fish (or a fishless tank, but lets face it, those dont stay fishless long). grow em out even more, and then a year from now, chances are whatever pathogen may be in your tank will have died without a host.

the anubias you can also bleach dip.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I had the same thing happen with Carndinal Tetras. I had 15 and they started to drop dead I started dosing meds by the time it was over I had 3 I just brought 8 more and 5 days later I have 2. so I am done with Cardinal tetras. I drip acculmated them and every thing I could do the lower the stress they ate a good meal an then started to drop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.