The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of moving the contents of my 10g to a 20H that I got a good deal on. I wanted to get an opinion from those who have done this what they think of my move plan.

My 10g is going very well. My drift wood has a moss crown and looks like a tree. It is getting big and my 10 is looking like a jungle. I figure the wood and moss will look better in a large tank. One goal is to not disturb the substrate to much because if I can save it I will as it has very little age and has worked very well.

I am going to add lighting. I am using an 18" fluorescent tube on my 10g. I am going to use 2 of them on the 20.

One thing I am going to do is replace my filter. I have a sponge filter that has a base and while it is a nice sponge and works well the base makes it somewhat challenging to use with the Aquaclear 20 powerhead that I have. I am going to buy an ATI pre-filter sponge to use on the powerhead. I will take the other sponge and use it with an air pump since it is seeded and then I will pull it out of the tank a few weeks later.

I'm going to use BDBS and dirt for the substrate. After the substrate is in place in the 20 I am going to trim the stem plants at the substrate (in the old tank of course) and move them to their new home. I have trimmed all of my stem plants and replanted the tops so I know it will work for most except my Alternanthera reineckii "rosaefolia" which if anyone can tell me if trim and replant will work with those I would appreciate it.

Gently pull blade type plants: Vesuvius Sword, Italian val, dwarf sag and one or two unknowns. I want to try not to make two much of a mess here.

Once I have my plants relocated I will fill with enough dechlorinated water to cover my drift wood and moss then I will move the driftwood over. I am sure there will be shrimps hiding in the moss and I noticed they also climb into the cracks of the wood and hide. Hopefully none jump to the floor.

After the wood is moved I will remove some water from the 10g and put my homemade pop bottle shrimp trap in and catch all the shrimp and move them over.

Thats my plan. Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Just some tips, At least for me when replanting vals, it helps to trim the roots shorter, and snip off the runners. Also the shrimp might be easier to catch in bulk with a net, rather than the pop bottle trap to start with. I've had good luck draining most of the water from the tank (maybe an inch or less), and then gently tilting it, this causes the water to go to one end and concentrate the shrimp for you. I recommend this simply because every time i use a bottle trap, it takes forever to catch a large number of shrimp and i never ever seem to come close to catching them all.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.