The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only asking out of curiosity. But could you keep anything with a male betta in a planted 75 gallon?

Particularly a rather predatory horsefaced loach?
If so what?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
316 Posts
I have kept corydoras with bettas multiple times without incident. Except one time where the betta bit off the top fin but that was one time and one betta. Also neon tetras but the betta killed 2 of a 7 school but left the rest alone. Only tried neons once so far. I have never heard of a Horse faced loach, so idk.

In a 65 I would do a female betta sorority that has much more going on. In a 75 gal with one male betta you cannot add any other fish thats the bettas size or larger as the betta will fight w it. Also smaller fish will probably get bullied.

Sororities are multiple female bettas kept together. I think you could probably do 15ish female bettas but I have never kept a sorority so I dont know for sure. I am sure some of the other members have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely not into big betta sororities. Just was trying to find out if the betta would be ok and with what?

·
Banned
85 Posts
Big YMMV tag on this.

Typically betta (splendens) males will be aggressive with any other male betta species. And with other fish that strongly resemble male betta.

Often, the typical male betta will do quite well in a community tank. I had, for several years, a betta in a community tank with a variety of your normal LFS fare. My betta got along with everyone and provided parental care to sword tail fry.

I have found that everyone has a unique experience with their betta so you will likely just need to try it out if you are curious.

I have no experience with horse-faced loaches but, what I can find says they do well in community tanks with fish that stay in the top of the water column. One could interpret that to say no other bottom feeders/dwellers with them.
How big is your loach? It seems this fish can reach nearly 8" (200mm). At this size I would worry because the betta is a pondering/slow moving kinda guy. The kind of fish that other fish might see as an easy target.

For ideas, I have kept male betta with: swords, mollies, danio, weather loach, kuhli loach, and a variety of gourami.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My horse face is about 3 inches but somehow cleared my 75 of smaller tetras. Been in there alone for years now but doesnt grow anymore.

Ty for your reply

·
Registered
3 Posts
Male betta fish sometimes can be kept with other fish in a community tank. You just need to make sure that none of the other fish resemble a betta fish too much, or he will likely attack it. A lot does depend on the individual fish, though. Some male bettas do great in community tanks, others will kill everything.
I also wouldn't put a betta with any fin nipping fish, as that can cause stress and aggression.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I once kept a betta with cherry barbs and kuhli loaches, they did fine together. However when I had a different betta with platies he harassed them nonstop (maybe their bright color was part of the issue) and yet antoher betta I tried keeping with cories, which I thought would be no problem, he constantly stole their food. I think it just depends on the individual fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts