The Planted Tank Forum banner

[Tank Journal] 29 G long White Cloud Minnow (7 Oct 2022)

3068 Views 32 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  richard.hayward.melb
Preparations ...
TankAqua One OptiClear Low Profile 120cm
  • 108 L / 29 gallon
  • 120 x 30 x 30 cm (48 x 12 x 12 inches)
SubstrateBlack Diamond Abrasive Sand (5 kg)
Black AquaOne Gravel (4 kg)
Black Rounded Pebbles (2 kg)
FiltrationDouble sponge filter (10 layer ribbing sponge rated for 40 gallons, high density 60ppi) with air-water outlet for flow.
Biochemical Sponge Filter with Air Stone Ultra-Thin Round Air Driven (x2)
Leca + lava rocks when the leca ran out.
Coconut palm fibre mat
Fedour 3W Air Pump (16kPa, 4L/min - 240 L/hour)
HardscapeSandstone for fish caves and features
Magnolia grandiflora wood
Clear aquarium-safe silicon (300g)
Glue cyanoacrylate
Upper - Mid Layer FishWhite Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes) (x24)
Lower Layer FishPanda Cory (Corydoras panda) (x8)
Clean Up CrewBladder Snails
HeaterFedour 100W HP-608
  • rated for 110 L
  • backup heater was also purchased.
LCD Temperature Gauge (dual sensor)
LightAluminium alloy waterproof 5730 SMD LED 48W 90cm
  • programmable (LCD control panel)
  • extendable bracket
  • rated for 47 inch/ 120 cm.
PlantsMonte Carlo (tissue culture 4 pots).
Riccia (tissue culture 1 pot)
Cryptocoryne (2 plants)
Amazon Sword (1 plant)
Milfoil (1 bunch)
Hair Grass (tissue culture 1 pot)
Staurogyne repens (tissue culture 2 pots)
Java Fern (1 plant)
Anubias (2 plants)
Süsswassertang (1 strand stowaway)

Aquarium soil: ADA V2 (3 kg)
Seachem Flourish tabs

Fin Fish Marine biology Tail Underwater

Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology Tail

Question: what size substrate is ideal for Panda Corys? Fine sand or gravel?
  • 1-2 mm?
  • 3-5 mm?
  • 7mm?
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A photo update.

Water Plant Organism Vegetation Wood

The forest on the left is dark and mysterious! A messy collection of rocks hides a UPETTOOLS filter. Anubias is flowering.

Plant Wood Vegetation Pet supply Terrestrial plant

A Staruogyne repens garden with a Cryptocoryne centrepiece. Ricciia in the tree had to be reattached last night since it got detached.

Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Water Natural landscape

A dark fish den is awaiting its first tenants. Amazon Sword (Echinodorus) grow alongside Cryptocoryne in a rocky canyon.

Water Plant Pet supply Fish supply Aquatic plant

A rocky wall hides the main filter, a large sponge with outflow across the water surface.

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Everything's gone well for the White Cloud Mountain Minnow. The health of the fish is good, and the range of behaviours shows that they have settled in well to the tank. I've found a selection of different food options for them which they are taking to really well. One thing I realised is that the food size is very limited. They tend to "play basketball" with pieces of food, taking bites out of them on the way down and eventually letting the particle drop to the tank floor. These pieces are then swarmed by the Bladder Snails.

I'm now ready to add the Panda Cory school. I'm interested to see if these fish will be able to consume that fallen food ahead of the snails. If that is the case, the snail population should decline, and the Pandas could then be a balancing factor if they are able to consume that food and therefore limit what's remaining for the snails to eat.

· Premium Member
655 Posts
Everything's gone well for the White Cloud Mountain Minnow. The health of the fish is good, and the range of behaviours shows that they have settled in well to the tank. I've found a selection of different food options for them which they are taking to really well. One thing I realised is that the food size is very limited. They tend to "play basketball" with pieces of food, taking bites out of them on the way down and eventually letting the particle drop to the tank floor. These pieces are then swarmed by the Bladder Snails.

I'm now ready to add the Panda Cory school. I'm interested to see if these fish will be able to consume that fallen food ahead of the snails. If that is the case, the snail population should decline, and the Pandas could then be a balancing factor if they are able to consume that food and therefore limit what's remaining for the snails to eat.
Your Tank looks sweet!
Corys will definitely get to the food before the snails. Mine gather around their usual spots before food even hits the bottom.

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Water Vertebrate Natural environment Botany Organism

Water Vertebrate Organism Fin Fish supply

Water Fin Organism Fish Underwater

Plant Water Terrestrial plant Organism Fish

Water Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Underwater

Water Plant Beak Organism Terrestrial plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Underwater Aquatic plant Grass

Water Plant Leaf Organism Terrestrial plant

Water Vertebrate Plant Organism Terrestrial plant

I actually have fry in this tank now, but I can't get them into focus on the camera!
I decided to delay getting the panda corys. I also added the last surviving shrimp from the 5 gallon tank.
After a week, the shrimp is doing well, and finally came out today to graze in the open.

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Down to four Corys. I removed one that looked unwell (slow-moving, clumsy, not eating well, hiding in a corner). I haven't seen any other dead fish.

I have placed the unwell Cory in a five-gallon. I'm not sure how to best care for this unhealthy fish. At the very least I have isolated this one from the main tank.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts