The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a successful Low tech medium light 125 for about 2 years and now it seems the bottom has fallen out of the tank.

Plant growth is absolutely minimal and has slowly become consumed with algae. At this point I’m pretty sure it’s BBA. It went froman absolute lush green forest to a sickly half dead 6 foot breeding ground for black algae.

Fish seem unaffected. And happy. It’s just me who isn’t.

filter is an FX6 with multiple wave makers for movement across the tank. Ive used root tabs and liquid ferts. NiloG thrive C

along with a chemical injection system that doses 100ml of metricide 28 ( excel ) daily.

lights are (4) HLC finnex lights.

here’s a few pics of what’s occurred in about 6 months.

weekly 50-60% changes.

the only level I’m not sure of is phosphate.Ive cut much of the contamination off the plants with compromised leaves. I’m just lost on what do next.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Doesnt look like BBA to me. Maybe combination of diatoms or gsa. Did you gradually increase ferts as the plants grew in? More plant mass means you need more ferts to ensure healthy plant growth.

What's your cleanup crew look like? If you've only got 1 or 2 nerites in the whole tank and nothing else, then you probably should add algae eaters

You can try a short term blackout or spot treating with excel, but spot treating seems like it would be pretty excessive.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Could your driftwood be rotting? That's my issue with my low tech 40 gallon. Throws my phosphates in particular off. I've been combating my issue with java moss and spot treating with excel. Not saying that this will help you or is even the issue that you're having but figured I'd share.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clean up crew is pretty diverse. Ghost shrimp, SAE, ottos, plecos 8+ Nerites 2 mystery snails.

The driftwood seems solid. It’s a massive chunk of Mopani.

I’ve increased the light cycle and bumped up my ferts. As I’m thinking I must have had some stunting that allowed algae to take hold in the tank.

here’s a picture of a few day old Anubias I recently bought. New growth but the other leaves have already begun to get attacked by whatever algae this is.

·
Registered
All peaceful community fish.
82 Posts
I've recently had almost the same problem. I have started dosing again with Excel, but not been adding any other ferts. I will follow this with interest. I'm pretty sure I'm under attack by BBA though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.