The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together my new tank, ordering a nice stand to go with it, interested in opinions.

30" or 36" high stand for a 120g 24" tall tank?

30" is about 20% cheaper and better viewing if sitting down.
36" is better viewing standing up and has more interior space
for sump/equipment.

It's going in our downstairs den/playroom.

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
30" definitely for me. Two reasons: I like to sit and look at the tank, and that would place my head about tank center height-wise.

Second, more important reason: Unless you are 8 feet tall, a 36+24=60" height will make it very difficult to reach the bottom of your tank without a step stool. I am pretty tall, and when I tippy-toe I can do 58". That's actually how I determined the max height of my new tank.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasser, I thought about the scaping issue, but after playing around with it, to reach every bit of the tank I'm gonna have to use w steep stool anyway. The last stand I made, I made 29" tall for another 24" tank, and it was the perfect length for my arms....the last inch of a 30" tank puts
it just at that point of being uncomftable for
my armpit.

Topfrog, equipment/fish/plant budget isn't a problem, but I do want to get the right value for my money. Do I want a taller stand, is it worth the added cost, once I got the shorter stand home would I even notice the height? These are questions I'm having a hard time answering and y'alls thoughts are definitely helping me.

Thanks, keep the opinions coming.

·
Registered
255 Posts
for me when i build my stands basically i measure from my arm pit to the ground and add 6" then minus the tank hieght i have kind of a weird method because i want to be able to reach the bottom of the tank....

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
Wasser, I thought about the scaping issue, but after playing around with it, to reach every bit of the tank I'm gonna have to use w steep stool anyway. The last stand I made, I made 29" tall for another 24" tank, and it was the perfect length for my arms....the last inch of a 30" tank puts it just at that point of being uncomftable for my armpit.
There is also a difference between being able to "reach every bit" and reaching the bottom near the front glass. Depends a lot on the depth of the tank. A regular 18" deep tank is one thing, but it is deeper, it will be harder to reach things in the back. My latest tank is almost 30" deep, and I sized it to be able to scrape the front glass if necessary, but to reach things back there I definitely need a chair or something.

But yeah... if you need a step stool anyway, using the main viewing position might be a good deciding point.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Never go beyond 30"
I'm someone that knows, so is Wasserpest.

Go depth front to back, say 30-48".
That looks cool.

Scaping sucks with deeper tanks in many ways.
As far as viewing, you really do not get the fully monty without a cold one and sitting and watching in a nice comfy chair.

That is the viewing height.
You can walk by and glance, but that's not the same.
30" is a tall tank, start at 24" + 1" of stand/glass etc, then 30" assuming a rimless, now you 55", about arm pit height.

You will have to work and trim this tank.
Make it easy for you, the view you can get if it's 24", 28", 30" or 36" on the stand etc.

Other big things:

Easy to change water, hard plumb it. Pay and do it right.
Worth every penny X 100

Lighting, try T5's a large bank of Tek etc, do not go cheap here, the T5's are nice since you can easily adjust intensities, and still maintain nice colors, and a very good even spread of light, this will save you headache and energy cost over time.

Cheaper T5's are really junky and do not put out much PAR, I have ways to confirm that:thumbsup:

Tek fall in pretty good.
Rimless or smaller rims, hoods without the front lip are the way to go.

I'd also suggest a nice Ecotech type powerhead wavemaker, this will save on providing good random current so you can use a small filter but still get good mixing for peanuts for gal/hr movement.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts