The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my tank got totally ruined. I accidentally unplugged the inline heater when I left for the holidays and the temperature in my apartment dropped to 45-50 degrees when the heat shut off. It got my embers and apistos, but my cpds are still around. I was real mad for a while, but it's time to move on and start over.

I am looking to use very small tightly schooling fish. Ideally, 1" or smaller fish. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pygmy Cories. Just put 6 of them in the tank last night. They were schooling together and with the harlequins. I'll have to see if they stick with that nature once they get used to the tank.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rummies are probably too big for what I'm trying to do. I actually already have pygmy cories. I am looking for a very small tetra, rasbora/microrasbora/microdevario, etc.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pygmies, or micro rasboras. Check out fantastic fins, ask dale say simon sent you, he'll hook you up.
I'm there a lot already :)

My concern is that microrasboras don't school as much as I'd like; I'm picky.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
I had about 80 Boraras maculatus and they didn't really school that well. I would have small groups of about 8-10 hang out together in different parts of the tank, but they didn't really move around a lot. After a few months, they were all hiding in the plant mass and I didn't see them much except at feeding time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
if you are looking for a schooling fish, pencilfish are probably not the best bet. males can be somewhat territorial. there are some like N eques that have more of a a tendancy to school (or hover), but they are on the bigger side. i absolutely love pencilfish, but if a small tightly schooling fish is the effect you are after then there are better choices.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Keep the suggestions coming, especially if you have them and can comment from personal experience.

I have two fish I'd like someone to comment on:

Emerald eye rasbora and green neons

How big do these guys get?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.