The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a used 75 gallon (48x18) tank. The trim / frame is in pretty bad shape, splits or cracks in the plastic at all 4 corners. I would like to replace it. I called glasscages.com and they said their frames were specific to their brand. I called my lfs and they asked me what brand the tank was because their was a difference in brands and the frame could end up being too big or too small, depending on what I had. They also said they would not order one for me and then be stuck with it if it did not fit.

I don't know what brand it is and the person I got it from did not know either. There isn't a label on it.

I heard of people building their own frames out of wood but I haven't found anything showing how to online.

The existing cross braces are still holding.

What do I do?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Cut that shiz off and go rimless. I received a used 50g that had similar damage on both the top and bottom framing, the entire thing has no rim now and has yet to leak on me. Then again, I never move or lean on it.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
dogfish tried it and NG on going rimless with a 4' tank
order new frames, several here have gotten them online

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dogfish tried it and NG on going rimless with a 4' tank
order new frames, several here have gotten them online
I was going to order online but like I said glasscages.com which has them for 18$ said they were specifically for their brand of tanks.

I guess I could order it, see if it fits and return it if it doesnt work. But I'm not sure I'd want to risk loosing the shipping costs.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Oh NVM then, glass is too thin to go rimless without worrying about it exploding. I don't have any idea how to make a wooden frame for a tank, but I expect it to be as straightforward and easy as most DIY projects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.