The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tank Cycled - Ready for Caridina?

751 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  somewhatshocked
I set up this 10 gal tank w/ live plants and the 3 rocks on Oct 30th. I used R/O water and remineralizerI did a 25% water change yesterday once the cycle was consistently showing complete. I want to know if it is ready for Caridina shrimp? If so, what types? I also like the Babaultis. If it is not ready, what else do I need to do to get it ready. Thank-you!My current readings are:

171 TDS
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
40 Nitrate
0-1 KH
9 GH
6.4 PH
7.4 High Range PH

Plant Nature Botany Rectangle Grass
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The owner of the shrimp store gave me the ammonia source when I set up the tank. He poured it into a fish bag and told me to add it when I got the tank set up, so I am not exactly sure what it was… but I believe he poured it in from a bottle.

· Registered
132 Posts
If that's the case, I highly doubt your tank is cycled. @somewhatshocked should be along shortly. There's a sticky on here about fishless cycling. That's a good place to start.

Dave

To clarify, the beneficial bacteria (BB) need a constant food supply with no livestock present. That food is ammonia. If you only added it once, your tank is definitely not cycled.

Dave

· Administrator
18,216 Posts
From the parameters you listed it appears cycled.
Doesn't mean it's cycled. Just means there's nitrate present.

If that's the case, I highly doubt your tank is cycled.
Yep, likely not cycled.

OP, you should check out this handy post about fishlessly cycling a tank. Do that with some surfactant-free ammonia. Once your tank can process 2-3 PPM of ammonia in 24 hours or less, then your tank can support shrimp. Will likely require daily or semi-daily dosing of ammonia to get to that point and it can take 5-6 weeks or longer. Then you'll do a 100% water change just before you move shrimp into the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts