The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've decided to purchase a tank for the very first time. I want to create something in between an Iwagumi tank and a Japanese landscape, perhaps of mountains and caves and bonsai. I want it to be tropical fish friendly so that I can get small community colourful fish with a cleaning crew of some kind.

My greatest issue is, I can't find the perfect tank complete kit that is suitable. I really love the design of the Fluval Edge but there is no way i would get that due to the poor access at the top. I want a tank that is not deeper than 30 cm and not longer than 60cm without it hanging over the edge of the (non-purpose built) cabinet - i don't mind it doing that but I feel that risks the integrity of the tank. Height is not an issue, though to create a panoramic aquascape, something too tall would look change the aesthetics.

Rimless front is quite important to me as is hidden equipment.

I have no idea of the other equipment I need to ensure my all-in-one set should have. I know I need good lighting for a planted tank and carpeting but something that doesn't promote algae.
I have no idea if I need CO2 equipment and if so, what equipment as it appears the jury is out on whether its needed.
I don't know if I can have a heater to make it tropical (without killing my plants).
Some suggest skimmers - I don't understand why though as I thought that was only important for coral.

So in a nut shell, I'm a novice and the more I research, the more I get confused and split in decisions based on my overall lack of understanding. So any help would be hugely appreciated, even if it was to list what tank and equipment you have, especially if its of similar aquascaping idea, perhaps a photo. Many many thanks.

· Registered
53 Posts
I wouldn't try to purchase a complete all-in-one kit. You're better off purchasing the tank, light, and filter separately. Here's my 2 day old tank:

Ultum Nature Systems 60 U
Twinstar 600S light
Eheim 2215 canister filter
I had a custom piece of glass cut for the top and it's held in place with stainless steel clips
I would strongly consider CO2. It's a higher upfront cost but I wanted the flexibility of being able to put virtually any plant in the tank. I was able to keep costs down somewhat by finding a new old stock regulator at *-bay and learning how to build it combing through this forum

· Registered
173 Posts
There is so much information out there, it can be hard to know where to start.

Read this...

https://barrreport.com/threads/step-1-define-your-goals.2864/

And read this...

https://barrreport.com/threads/step-2-chose-a-method-and-learn-it-well.2865/

Barr is grouchy, but he's got good advice. Those articles should help you find your bearings.

Some miscellaneous advice, for what it's worth...
LED lights can be a mixed bag. Some are very good (like the Twinstar above), some not so much.
T5 lights grow plants. They're a good option.
Pressurized CO2 is a good idea, but not strictly necessary. Depends on your goals for the tank (See articles).
Heaters are safe with plants. You probably need one. Room temp in most places is a bit chilly for tropical plants.
Skimmers are nice, but not strictly necessary. They remove the oily, proteinaceous film that sometimes develops on the surface. My current tank does not have one, and I want one. My next tank will have one.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! That is super super helpful! I really appreciate it. I also asked Charterhouse Aquatics.
They suggested equipment that they have in stock (and also the most expensive varieties) so it put me off somewhat. However, both your posts have given me hope again.

Charterhouse suggested:
EA Aquascaper tank 900 + cabinet £600
DIY tank cover - they sell them £50
Aqua Medic Titanium heater + controller (or one with thermostat that is 100W) £30+controller
JBL ProFlora CO2 disposable system and pH control instrument and pre-set regulator (that can be adjusted if needed) £343
AI primes £200 or Radions XR15 LED lights £300 - would need two of either

Total before any aquascaping: £1500
That is way out of my budget! Half that would be better.

Thanks again!

· Registered
990 Posts
Thank you both! That is super super helpful! I really appreciate it. I also asked Charterhouse Aquatics.
They suggested equipment that they have in stock (and also the most expensive varieties) so it put me off somewhat. However, both your posts have given me hope again.

Charterhouse suggested:
EA Aquascaper tank 900 + cabinet £600
DIY tank cover - they sell them £50
Aqua Medic Titanium heater + controller (or one with thermostat that is 100W) £30+controller
JBL ProFlora CO2 disposable system and pH control instrument and pre-set regulator (that can be adjusted if needed) £343
AI primes £200 or Radions XR15 LED lights £300 - would need two of either

Total before any aquascaping: £1500
That is way out of my budget! Half that would be better.

Thanks again!
thats a ballsy build for first build. def decide base around your budget.

don't go for all in one kit. spend the extra hours to look up what equipment best fits you.

choose what size tank

buy one light first, get a second one when you need more firepower

disposible co2 kits are for entry level under $50. with $343, you can get a full
legit co2 system (finding used can save money)

· Registered
15 Posts
+1 for Hyue. The equipment listed is reliable and top quality. I’m also using the twinstar (amazing for red plants) and Eheim 2215. I have a landen rimless tank which is also very similar.

One thing I would not go cheap on is the CO2 reg. I recommend going to Greenleaf aquariums and get the gro or pro series. Huge plus is that they come with a 3-6 year warranty and are extremely reliable and great quality. You want to be able to go to work and not have to worry if your CO2 is running okay 👌. Inconsistent CO2 could create a nightmare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.