The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellow all yous!

I've recently converted my 40g planted tank into my dream version of Tanganyika scape.

Substrate is made of sand/aragonite/white silky beach sand and small rocks.
Also included in hardscape are a variety of river rocks and a piece of mossy driftwood.

Plants are; java ferns, java moss & long leafy plant.
Fish are; 2 sported duboidi tropheus, 3 frontosa, 4 calvus, 1 lionhead, 1 sunshine peacock, 3 bicari? and 4 yellow ones? unknown lol..
& I've got some Malaysian trumpet snails in there.

All lighted up with 2 X 48 inch neon lights.

here are some pics and a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7-xHmxlnMM

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice setup... I like the rock work - quite authentic to the rift lake, and the fish look healthy and content.

The only thing I would change would be to loose the background.

I love rift lake cichlids - I'm sure you'll love em too....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice setup... I like the rock work - quite authentic to the rift lake, and the fish look healthy and content.

The only thing I would change would be to loose the background.

I love rift lake cichlids - I'm sure you'll love em too....

You are absolutely right !!!
Just removed the background & it looks much better!!
I also like these fish.. over the years i think I got bored of tetras, n needed something with more attitude.. these cichlids are so entertaining !
Here's a pic background-free:

Thank you everyone for your nice comments :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that turned out real nice.

I'm thinking about restocking my 50g riparium setup with Tanganyika cichlids.
Wohoo sounds like an idea ;) cant wait to see that!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm here because of this word: Tanganyika

WOW WOW WOW I love thisssssssssss....

algae on rocks, sands.. rocks... moss tree... that wood branch
is killer! awesome scape!

man now I'm itching to do something like this as well..ugh!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DdAKaP61qE

DogFish : Here`s a movie for you! No more background, and evening lights are one ;)

oliver77 : Its not that difficult :) I found rocks in a stream close-by my home and its a branch i already had in my previous tank so didnt take to do it no where as long as my other planted tanks ;)`

as for the plants -- No cichlids dont seem to eat any of the plants or moss that ive got in there; its cichlid-safe hehe.

JunJunJenn, Sd760 : thank you !!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How funny is that... when i first buy my fish at pet-store, they always seem rather lethargic, skinny,n so on..
A few days later under my care.. they got great appetite, full bellies n lots of energy hehehe...
Here's a video taken with their night light, they very relax under the less bright light n I think they like it better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DdAKaP61qE

·
Registered
363 Posts
Very beautiful setup you have going on. I love the duboisi tropheus, def one of my favorites.
Side note - didn't know I was watching a love video hahaha funny music on there. Was waiting for you to pop your head in there and start singing along with chorus haha

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very beautiful setup you have going on. I love the duboisi tropheus, def one of my favorites.
Side note - didn't know I was watching a love video hahaha funny music on there. Was waiting for you to pop your head in there and start singing along with chorus haha
Hahaha you funny!
Just tried to put some minimal beat to set up a nightly mood hehe..

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I used to be into African cichlids, and in-tank backgrounds were all the rage at the time...

Don't know if you've seen them before, but this is what google came up...
http://www.google.ca/search?q=tanga...H22QXm8oDADA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

Some pretty fantastic (albeit pricey) stuff...

Waw !! I really like that stuff!! Ive seen a few of them around but where can u get one of those? And can u make one of those? And then you gotta match your own hardscape n layout to it hehe... thx!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts