Banned
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mt tank:
30g tall
T8 lighting (2.17w)
Fluval 305 filter
Heater
Plants: Amazon Swords, Anubias, crypts, Bacopa, Vallis, Java fern,Hygrophila difformis

I want to upgrade my lights and add a decent Co2. Plant growth is slow and limiting and everything grows tall and spindley like someone has stretched the life out of them.
The problem is the tank is a corner pentagonal and is situation in a darkish corner behind a door which often gets left open blocking one side considerably. During the day the tank is very dark- even when its a sunny day- you can barely see a thing. I had algae issues as the lights were being turned on from the morning onwards, right up until I went to bed late evening (so that I could actually see into it)
My question is this. Im of the understanding that CO2 and lights should run together and CO2 should not be left running whilst lights are off. As the tank gets no natural light whatsoever and is dark during the day does that follow that I should run the CO2 from late afternoon onwards whilst the lights are turned on? Im confused as I read that CO2 is best run during the day, but I assume thats because most tanks get a lot of light then? There would be no point running it during the day when its dark and barely lit?
Thought id ask as Im wondering if I should upgrade with a tank that is so dark during the daytime. Theres nowhere else I can move it to in the house. I dont want to have the light period during the day when Im not home to appreciate it or else Ill have a pitch black tank in the evening.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
i run co2 24/7. i'm of the set it and forget mind... all you gotta do is keep an eye on your drop checker to make sure it doesnt get too "yellow" at night when the plants go dormant and stop using the co2.

the other option as some like to do is crank up the co2 and break the surface of the water to get more o2 into the tank. You have to run the co2 stronger though b/c it gasses off easily.

personally, my tank is in the basement. often the only light down there is from the tank. I run co2 constantly, i run lights in 2 4 hour segments (i'll probably change that to go on when i get home and stay on for 8 hours then). I don't break the surface of the water, but i get it to ripple.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
So, you have 2.17 x 30 = 65 watts of T8 light on that tank? I'm assuming that means you have two T8 bulbs lighting the tank, probably of different lengths?

I don't know how tall a 30 gallon 5 sided corner tank is, so I have no idea how much light you should be getting from the two T8 bulbs.

CO2 will greatly improve the growth rate and health of the plants, even if you have low light. CO2 injected with the lights off does no good, but if the concentration in the tank is kept well below that which harms the fish, it will also do no harm if it runs with the lights off. It just wastes CO2, and unduly stresses the fish.

·
Banned
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops typo. I meant two T8 lights, both of 17watt. The tank is 2ft tall and lights sit very close to the surface under a glass protector. Stupid question but how do the plants know when its nightime? Lighting I suppose? So if my lights are off during the day and the tank is getting no light at all, plants will sit dormant? This where I get confused. CO2 should run during the day (ideally), but my plants think daytime is nighttime if its so dark in there. So wouldnt I be better running both lights and co2 at night? sorry im not getting this :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.