The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says I'm looking for a normal looking grass that grows at lest 12" tall. It will be in a low-medium tech set up with no co2. It will have root tabs and once a week comp dosing. Any ideas of what to get? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi scotty82,

Everyone has dwarf hair grass as a foreground plant but seldom do you see the Eleocharis species that grow tall like these; they grow about 14" tall.

Eleocharis sp (possibly Eleocharis montevidensis but not flowered to confirm)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I'm looking for, but would like something a little broader leaf. If I can't find a broader leaf grass that does the same thing, I'll most likely just get some clumps of that stuff so it fills in a bit more. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
If you're interested in a somewhat broadleafed grassy plant look into jungle vals. Here's an old pic of some in my 46 gallon bowfront. They are extremely easy to grow.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought vals were curly? Is that just a different type of val? That is exactly what I want then.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
there are all kinds of diff vals, if your wanting something only about 12 inches tall i would not go jungle though they get up to 5-6 feet long ive had them before. there are also sag plants. not sure scientific name though but it does get taller and its pretty easy to care for.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I find that my jungle vals grow to the size of the tank. I also have them in my 15 gallon tank and in that tank they max out at a foot to 1.5 feet tall.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jungle val is a very easy plant but also extremely invasive. Once it takes hold it will try to take over your tank. Or at least that what it did with my tank. The runners are persistent, strong, and very fast growing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
What you need is cyperus helfiri. Here's a pic of mine.

It started as one clump in a plastic pot with rockwool from the LFS, now I have the six you seer here, plus one that is forming a canopy in my ten gallon shrimp tank. It doesn't mind low light with no ferts, but grows like crazy under high light with co2. As you can see, it almost reaches the top of my 125 gallon. That's almost 18 inches tall.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.