The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this earlier while shopping.

Sports equipment Waste containment Plant Font Gas

Anyone else seen anything like this.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
They will price match it, given you show them a printed add with a cheaper price, some stores are a bit more iffy on price matching though Ive noticed. I got my Fluval C2 Power Filter for 25$ instead of 40$ by bringing in an add off amazon for it, since the shipping was free, they didn't charge me the shipping like they normally would

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Don't they ever compare their prices with other competitors and realize they're charging an arm too much? :|

Recently saw some GREY Cherry Shrimp (They had a couple of red spots) at a Petco selling for $1.89 a pop, how's that for a markup?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
5.99??? I DONT EVEN MORD WHAT???

Well these "Cherries" are about as translucent as an Amano, actually, I think Amanos are more colorful than these.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same here. One of the LFS's near me, I won't mention a name, sells cherry shrimp for like 4.99 each. And it's even worse because they breed them in the store so they don't even have very much money into them to begin with.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Same here. One of the LFS's near me, I won't mention a name, sells cherry shrimp for like 4.99 each. And it's even worse because they breed them in the store so they don't even have very much money into them to begin with.
Had to check location cause it sounds like some of my LFS's... lol

Though a my big box store, they had RCS that werent even red for $8.99 lol

I asked her if they had to remove the 5 other ones that had died in the little jar and never fixed the price tag. lol

·
Registered
453 Posts
Haha! That is exactly why I like to shop here in the SnS! You can't really find shrimp around here, and if you do you are paying 6.99 for plain old rcs! I managed to find A grade crs for 25.00 a shrimp!! Lol!! Looking in my crs/CBS I figure I got like 1000.00 in shrimp at that rate.... ;-))

·
Registered
844 Posts
They will price match it, given you show them a printed add with a cheaper price, some stores are a bit more iffy on price matching though Ive noticed. I got my Fluval C2 Power Filter for 25$ instead of 40$ by bringing in an add off amazon for it, since the shipping was free, they didn't charge me the shipping like they normally would
Before u go price matching....call the store..because I know here petco and petsmart don't match anything online ...only if you bring in a local ad from another store then they wiil

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Before u go price matching....call the store..because I know here petco and petsmart don't match anything online ...only if you bring in a local ad from another store then they wiil

It varies from store to store, and manager to manger. I don't think Petsmart is supposed to do online matches, but sometimes some of the ones I go to will if the managers are in a good mood

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Lots of retail outlets are out of touch with fair market pricing. They basically go with retail markup and hold off on discounting during seasonal sales and promotions.

No one here should be surprised at how retail works...

·
Registered
494 Posts
my LFS is a ripoff... 5.99 for cherry and everything is a ton! petsmart is cheeper most of the time... if i have time (as in i wasn't a idiot and not have stuff i need in the house) i use amazon.

add to that petsmart is a 30 minute run and LFS 25 so time lost both ways!

filter media is the stuff i see REALLY marked up around here

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I suspect some prices are dictated by software errors as well. Since there are thousands of products in these stores there are percentage codes dictated by their inventory software that may overestimate a product price. Human error in not catching it before it makes it to the floor though.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't think they're unware. How many petsmart shoppers are buying on a whim with little to no research?

How often do those things even sell in Petsmart.

I think they're intentionally counting on the uneducated shopper to purchase those as "necessary" for their setup.

How much business do you think they're losing over the 501 bc they're overpriced?

Clearly on stuff that sells well, they're evenly priced with retailers - online or not.

Stocking stuff that sells very sparsely at exorbitantly prices is a win-win. Otherwise they wouldn't even bother carrying them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts