The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How an American Girl takes the D out of ADA:

1) Buy very expensive ADA tank in a daze of lust for Japanese Simplicity and Purity of Form.

2) Don't read instruction and vigorously mix up powersand, aqua soil, and some other kind of sand, producing an incurable dust bowl in newly set up tank.

3) After many water changes, give up on Aquasoil, top it with sand.

4) Return from bathroom to find 2 cats inside aquarium enjoying dry sand, hastily refill tank.

5) Arrange overpriced bogwood in forbidden Symmetrical Composition.

6) Succumb greedily to Collectoritis and plant too many species.

7) Light tank with ugly large black 2x 65w JBJ Formosa fixture borrowed from old 29 gallon.

8) Grow a bunch of green water, put ugly pond UV filter on back rim so the leaky thing can drip into the tank and the tiny pump attached to it can be stuck on the inside side.

8) Put metal tabs holding 4" glass shelf along front edge to try to keep out Cats.

9) While combing cat hair out of dwarf hair grass hear crash, observe guilty cat exiting scene of broken shelf.

10)Try without shelf, but catch cat drinking aquarium water, risking infestation of unknown exotic parasites.

11) Discover can't stand the bright glare from unshielded underside of light, visible from most common views.

12) Prop broken flap of cheap plastic from old aquarium in front of light to block both cat and glare.

13) Boy observes: all you need now is some duct tape, but Girl knows, the final touch would be a wide band of electrical tape along expensive rimless rim to hide the rest of the glare...

AAAAaaaarrrrrrghhhhh.....nooooooo!

what's a girl to do?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your difficulty, but appreciate the giggle! keep the sense of humor, it is the only thing that saves us sometimes! :icon_smil

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
I'm sorry things are off to a shakey start but I have to say that this gave me a chuckle. A few years ago while I was setting up my 135 my cats discovered my layers of sand before I filled the tank.

My cats didn't so much "play" with the sand, but decided it was like using an executive bathroom.

My cats also drink from my aquariums too. I've given up trying to stop them at this point

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My cats also drink from my aquariums too. I've given up trying to stop them at this point
"Nothing like good running water, sure beats that stale stuff we have in our bowls." :hihi:

MG, the tanks looks like its off to a good start. Too bad about the cats though, but good thing they havent found out that the warmth from the lighting makes a great napping place. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yup, that's my cats favourite place to sleep :hihi:

Good luck with the tank, and thanks for the giggle before I have to go and try tame my algae....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ha

I was wondering if anyone would get that remark about symmetrical composition. I noticed it cruising the AGA contests... everytime anyone did anything symmetrical they got criticized, so of course (since I don't follow directions) I had to try and make a (somewhat) symetrical composition work. I think if I can reduce the number of species and get some tall stuff growing on the sides and have that little open swim through meadow effect in the middle it could be cool. I'd love comments or ideas on what plants to go with after the break in period. The big salad of wisteria on top is temporary. Also I probably won't be able to grow much of a lawn in the pure sand in front.:fish:

At least I was able to replace the glass shelf, lower the lights, remove the UV filter, so it's now sleeker, less glaring, less drinkable hopefully.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Fun story & great humor too! I had to put a screen on my tank too - because of light glare. But I made it 2 sided (out of wood) and hung 4 Current Lunar link moon lights.

I really like your wood and look of the tank. Doesn't look symmetrical to me.

·
Registered
845 Posts
:) LOL

Ditto! I don't think your wood placement looks symmetrical either. Tank looks great!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
You missed one step in there...

Step 4a) Poor tall glass of alcoholic beverage to quell the nerves.

Funny story...good luck with it. BTW...Do you like it symmetric? If you do then make the thing symmetric!! Stop listening to these people...there is no "OFFICIAL LIST" of rules that aquascapers must follow. Are you trying to win some competition? You payed a pretty penny for that tank....if you want to plant one cabomba stem in the middle of the tank because YOU think it looks good...GO FOR IT!

If you are happy, we all should be happy for you. If you are pissed and just want to vent (like your funny as hell dissertation above) then we are here to laugh with you! Thats the whole point isn't it?

Overplant, underplant, collectoristis, symmetry, who cares. This is your canvas, make yourself happy.

What do you make a lawn of? you may be able to grow something if the sand in the front is not that deep...there are always root tabs too (but not sure how they will work with a "lawn" of whatever. you could always wait a while too until the tank is cycled and collect a bunch of mulm at the bottom as a natural fertilizer.

Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
awesome read. gets my vote for thread of the week.

aquablogging is fun. fun fun fun. lot cheaper than therapy too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts