The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who knows how to take off the white plastic on the glass lids? Also I want a new one any chance Home Depot might have it or some thing along the same lines? What about the black strip in the middle holding both glasses? As seen in pictures...I want to change it to a slide since it looks and makes things a lot easier? I want to see if any one has any simple ways before I go at it and accidentally break the glass...so any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe some soapy water wicked under the plastic? Then pull/slide it apart.
Doesn't it just pull off? MY LFS sells replacements.

Bump: evilbay has it
Marineland Perfecto Glass Canopy Backstrip

The blacks trip is glued to the glass I believe...the white part comes off no problem and thanks for the info on the backstrip I found it on ebay

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The ones I have taken apart just pulled apart . Lay top flat on a table and grab the 2 pieces of glass at one end and gently pull apart . Once it starts it should come right off off one side then the other . Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
The blacks trip is glued to the glass I believe...the white part comes off no problem and thanks for the info on the backstrip I found it on ebay
If you are going to replace the black hinge.. get a clear one..
And pretty sure they are not glued but could be wrong..
JUST an example..

ClearSonic Replacement Hinge | Sweetwater.com

found the correct ones once but it has been awhile WHY ON EARTH they use black is beyond me..

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you are going to replace the black hinge.. get a clear one..
And pretty sure they are not glued but could be wrong..
JUST an example..

ClearSonic Replacement Hinge | Sweetwater.com

found the correct ones once but it has been awhile WHY ON EARTH they use black is beyond me..

I don't want to replace it I am just separating it so I can make it sliding..

The ones I have taken apart just pulled apart . Lay top flat on a table and grab the 2 pieces of glass at one end and gently pull apart . Once it starts it should come right off off one side then the other . Hope that makes sense.
Ya for the most part it makes sense hah I'll try it later tonight to see if it will separate or not!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
The black strip is not glued, I've taken quite a few of these apart, it is just friction.

The smaller ones are simple to pull apart (for like 10G). The larger ones are not that easy though and I use a dremel to cut off like 20% of one side then they pull out easy as well.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well it's a 30g top! So if you say friction alright then...how about just slicing it down the center with a razor blade? That might work...ill try the pulling apart first and if it doesn't work I'll go in with a knife

Well I got it apart!! Woohoo...mine had glue how annoying...made a little chip in the glass but nothing to bad!! Thanks all for the input...first thing I did was cut down the middle and slowly started taking the black apart and then with a knife where it was glued...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Just taking that apart wont really allow you to use it as a sliding lid. You sort of need to start from scratch. Check this here:
sliding lids

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Just taking that apart wont really allow you to use it as a sliding lid. You sort of need to start from scratch. Check this here:
sliding lids
my 40 has a versatop that I always wanted to make into a sliding arrangement. Never really found an easy one that didn't involve either new glass or cutting the old (still haven't tested to see if it tempered or not)
Those rails "may" work even without cutting or overlap though..
Again though "why" black hinges.. .. sorry pet peeve..
Living Hinge for fish tanks and aquariums lids and canopy\'s

Not what the o/p wanted but for reference..

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
my 40 has a versatop that I always wanted to make into a sliding arrangement. Never really found an easy one that didn't involve either new glass or cutting the old (still haven't tested to see if it tempered or not)

It should still "work" using the stock glass. You'll just have a larger gap somewhere since the pieces wont overlap.

Those clear hinges are something I'd not seen before and can see being quite useful!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sliding lids

Ya sorry I didn't give much info I already had the other parts to the puzzle that makes it sliding lol...I was more in need of taking the glass apart with out breaking since mine was glued by the black strip

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sliding lids

Hah hey and that's ok if that's not the content I started about if it might help some one else out then by all mean let the help to other show!!

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
Go lidless - once you ditch lids you will never go back! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.