The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My relatives over in India were showing me their giant african cichlid tank and fry raising tanks on skype the other day. They had some awesome driftwood they got locally from my uncle's farm. It looks great. Has a bunch of twists and turns, and is easy for them to get. I asked if they could me some (family member is temporarily in India), and they were not sure if he could get it back legally. My question here is, is driftwood legal to transport without a permit, or do you have to declare it?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I think it might have to be quarantined and maybe sprayed for bugs. That would be to protect our lumber & fruit industry. Good luck getting a simple answer from US Dept of Agg. It's easier to nail jello to a wall that to navigate their website and it seems only robots answer the phones.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could it be possible to at leas try to declare it at the airport? It just MIGHT work, it might not either, as I learned over the summer in Belize. I bought this awesome fruit called guinep, and tried to declare it, but apparently, I had to boil it and vaccume pack it to take it here. The guy just played around with it and tossed it in the trash. lol. It was understandable though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Gibson just got raided by the Feds for illegally importing wood from India. Careful. Last thing you want is a paramilitary SWAT raid on your house for contraband wood. Dont laugh either. FDA recently did a full on guns drawn SWAT raid on an organic milk warehouse.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Gibson just got raided by the Feds for illegally importing wood from India. Careful. Last thing you want is a paramilitary SWAT raid on your house for contraband wood. Dont laugh either. FDA recently did a full on guns drawn SWAT raid on an organic milk warehouse.
No one that works for the FDA has a gun.

It is a store that is illegally operating without a license and had been since a prior raid over a year prior. Perhaps they should pay for the permit if they want to continue their "business".

If you're going to attempt to bring wood back, declare it so you aren't cited/fined/arrested upon arrival to the USA for failure to disclose/smuggling.

I'd guess it cannot be imported due to pests/etc.

Here is a basic rundown of general rules re: wood imporation. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/897/~/importing-wood-products-into-the-united-states

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not really sure if you have to declare dead wood. Hence driftwood.

My family brings back wooded trinkets including large wooden chests and carved figures from countries like Honduras and I never recall any delcaration needed.

Maybe you can BING the declaration form.

Does not driftwood float from one beach to another maybe 3000 miles away?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Declare it as a "wood aquarium decoration".

I had some monkeywood figures from my last trip to the philippines, and so did my mother. I declared mine as "wooden decorations", and she described hers as "wood gift", hers got confiscated, mine didn't. Even though they were basically the same. (Mine were wooden ashtrays carved roughly into the shape of male genitalia, hers were wood jewelry boxes).

I think it's mostly subjective and up to the person looking at your import.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Oh, the worst part was, my wooden wangs had burrowing wood beetles in them, but we only found them afterwards. Luckily they were in ziploc bags, and by the time we got them home, we saw little piles of sawdust, so we gassed the bags.

I could see how that could have turned out bad if someone other than me had brought them home... I could only imagine a whole house of wooden furniture being eaten, hah.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I di believe once wood becomes a craft item/trinket they look at it differently. Coming back from Africa I learned a warthog tusk must be quarantined, glue a few beads on it and it's "Native ART" no problem.

·
Registered
803 Posts
... wooden ashtrays carved roughly into the shape of male genitalia...
...my wooden wangs had burrowing wood beetles in them
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

(is it just me, or are those possibly the worst "lol" smileys ever? lol)

(these are more appropriate for the situation:
)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
check with the usda they are the ones to ask. if you bring a few for your self you might be able to get away with out a permit. to import wood legally into the usa you need a permit from the usda plus you got to make sure its not illegal to export from the country you are getting it from.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.