The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a planted tank for a long time, and this winter I started getting a little more into the hobby.

I bought a new light fixture, 2X55 Watt Compacts. It was a definite impulse buy. I immediately had trouble with algae. I went through a crash course in water chemistry through the forums here, and I'm getting it under control.

My question...is the much light too much for my 30 gallon aquarium?

I'm considering taking the thing apart and building a new hood (something I'm uneasy doing, I've never built one before) with only one of the lights. Any advice?

Peter

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Definately not too much light. Myself, as well as many others have used that much light on a 20g. It's still a lot of light, so there won't be as much room for error. Make sure you keep your Co2 levels high and keep your fertilizing routine consistant. I would also limit the photo period to somewhere around 8-9 hrs until you get everything worked out and the tank has had some time to grow in. Hope this helps. Good luck.

-Ryan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DIY not doing it for me anymore.

I want the pressurized co2, but I've done the research for so long, and I'm still leary.

If you were to start a co2 setup from scratch, what would you do first?

I'm afraid that I would just be setting myself up for a whole lot more trouble and money. (Exactly what happened when I bought my new hood. I didn't know what I was getting into when I went to 110Watts on 30 gallons.:icon_eek: I don't want to make the same mistake with a co2 setup.)

Maybe I should try adding another DIY bottle to my system. I only have one Natural Plant system thing.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
First thing is obtain a cylinder. You need to find out if there is somewhere convenient to you that will fill while you wait. Or if you just swap cylinders. If you can get filled buy a cylinder. If you can only sway then rent.

Then buy a regulator and diffusion method. That's about all there is to it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check out Beverage Factoryfactory.com. They have cheaper prices on ebay than on their website. A hydro test is used to deem the cylinder worthy of holding the liquid co2 under pressure (I think).

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Unless it's a 20 lb tank it's a really bad price. You can get a new 5 lb for $60.75 and shipping.

A hydro test is a test that is required every five years on a CO2 tank. It's to make sure that the metal has not weakened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.