The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or maybe your town.

If you go to google Maps, and put in "Empire State Building", then select Street View in the upper right corner, you can use your arrow keys to walk around NYC!

Supposedly to can see people entering some adult book stores, and peep shows. :)

I know this has been done for some cities (not my new town), but I can see my old house in the Bx.

Very cool.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Sounds cool. I used Google Earth a while back and was able to locate my house in Sac, plus I took a trip to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower and Siene River and over to see a couple temples in China. Pretty neat, but I could tell it wasn't realtime. Plus, there were no people walking around, so that would be cool to see.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Alot of those images on Google Earth are several years old. They are no where near real-time. My neighborhood is 5 yrs old, going on 6. If I try to view it on google earth all you see is a large, dirt construction site with bulldozers pushing dirt around. No structures at all.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The link Jen put up shows MUCH more updated photos. Probably within 6 months or so. Weird thing though is the 2D version has the very new photos but the 3D version has photos of my area even older than Google Earth. The 3D photos are at least 10 yrs old. The photos don't even show the roads leading to my area.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Mike - what's really funny is how often they update the photos. In the 4 images of my house (N, S, E, W) there is one that is at least 3 years old and one that I know what taken in the last 6 months, and everything in between!

This is the tool that I used to scope out creeks to go collecting in - what a dork I am :hihi:

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is the tool that I used to scope out creeks to go collecting in - what a dork I am :hihi:
Don't laugh. When I first started using the google I found a creek about 500 yds behind my dad's property. I keep meaning to get back there one day but the woods are pretty thick.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Mike - what's really funny is how often they update the photos. In the 4 images of my house (N, S, E, W) there is one that is at least 3 years old and one that I know what taken in the last 6 months, and everything in between!

THATS A GREAT IDEA!!

I now hate you Jen, more time to use up... and I still shouldn't be wasting time since I need to finish up with school AHHH!!!

-Andrew

Thanks,

PS. Google earth has been updated ;)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I like the idea of using it to scope out travelling to a destination, or what Jen is doing, but I don't like the potential for bad things =/ Seems like if they ever had all shots in realtime, it would open all kinds of doors for thieves and the like. Maybe that's why most places have older, dated pictures. I kind of hope it stays that way, at least for residential homes.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
My wife has the privilege of using her mapping software that's linked to her
network where she works. Its like google earth but a million times better. I still like google earth for other stuff. Its cool looking at places I used to grow up in.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts