The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had posted a while back about this algae and everyone was saying clado. With Excell and manual removal most all of it is gone. But there are still little patches of it here and there, and I just found out is also in 2 other tanks (I have transferred many plants in the past). Clado doesnt seem to come up at all in any of the algae guides. But after doing a google search and some searching on the forums, one key point was made: that it branches. Mine doesnt appear to branch at all, it just forms hairs mostly 1"-3" long although I have seen some individual strands 4" maybe more but thats very rare. Its solid green, fairly smooth to the touch and sticks to the glass/plastic/wood like superglue. It does come off pretty clean, you just got to really pull. And from what I have read about hair algae is you can just twirl a toothbrush and it comes off. This stuff is definitely not that easy to come off.

Here are some pics of it after I pulled most of it a couple months ago.

<Click for larger picture.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No branching, like I said in the first post, thats the main reason I dont thinks it claudo. Those pics were a month or two ago, no I have no intention of letting this stuff grow at all. Just trying to figure out what the best way to completely eliminate it is. Sorry if maybe they got bunched up in the pic and not that clear, I wish I'd taken a photo of them in the tank, but they werent in a spot I could photgraph easily.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Looks like Thread algae.

I spent a few hrs on a couple different occasions over at The Barr Report reading about it--sifting through threads about a yr ago. According to Tom its not "caused" by excess Iron or micros---but it sure seems that way--to me and many others. For the life of me I cannot remember what his reasoning was and what the actual cause of it is (I've tried to remember before now), but I would look at Your Iron/micro dosing first. Even if the Iron and/or micros don't actually cause it: There's a correlation there somewhere.

HTH

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think its too long to be clado (and isn't branching as you mentioned). I think I had it in my Cherry/juvi tank along with (and following) a Clado outbreak. I kind of just call it a green beard too. It really looks like Clado, except its seems a little smoother too. I've had thread outbreaks in there too.

I don't maintain that tank too well and kind of let algae do its thing until it really bugs me, then yank out the offending algae and possibly plant as well if required. There is no CO2 yet in the tank and I just lowered the light from a 55 watt AHS to a 35 watt AHS on a 26 bowfront - hopefully that will put it in a lowlight camp for now.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am still as stumpted as ever. Seems to have some properties of thread, hair, and beard but each one also has differing properties. The original offending tank was dosed EI (KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM+B, and MgSO4) has about 2.5wpg (of odno T8, white painted canopy) and close to 30ppm co2.

I am not too worried about it, it seems after the last removal it hasnt really come back except for a few little bits. If its starts comming back in force, then I'll be worried and take more extreme measures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.