The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
When to move babies??

I have a female mischling which I keep in a small Marina breeding box attached to my TB tank. She just began releasing babies yesterday. I keep her in here so that it will be easier to catch the baby mischlings and tranfer them back to my mischling tank. My question is how long should I wait until it's safe enough to move the babies without hurting them?

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
I have a female mischling which I keep in a small Marina breeding box attached to my TB tank. She just began releasing babies yesterday. I keep her in here so that it will be easier to catch the baby mischlings and tranfer them back to my mischling tank. My question is how long should I wait until it's safe enough to move the babies without hurting them?

I keep both my mischling and PRL inside breeder boxes attached to my 60P and I would say it's usually safe around 3weeks. Babies should be growing and molting a lot during the first few weeks of life and are usually big enough to be rehomed at 3wks but do 4wks if you're more comfortable.

I have my breeder boxes fill with fissidens growing on driftwood, IAL, and snowflake so the babies have ample supply of food available to eat and grow. Having sufficient water flow is also very important as they reply on the minerals to molt and grow. All but a few of my breeder boxes are hooked up to a water pump feeding from a UGF to supply sufficient water flow into the boxes. I find that the air driven method is insufficient if you're keeping more than 5 shrimps (especially if they're breeding and having babies).

Additionally, babies are more adaptable than adults so handle change better.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Very cool! I use the air driven breedeer box along with an extra airstone running inside of it. I keep one lava rock and some moss in the box. I feed baby powdered food daily in small amounts. There is also a good layer of bio film inside the box. They seem to all be doing good. Thanks for chiming in.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts