The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have a gold tetra that was evidently injured somehow, as its entire cadual fin is missing and the end of its spine is sticking out of the stump. It's alive, but it's swimming very oddly. Its back is humped, and it moves in tiny flutters.
Does anyone have a video of a fish without cadual fins? I'm trying to figure out if it's in severe pain or if it's swimming weirdly because it doesn't have a tailfin.
It's been about a week. No signs of fungus or any further tail loss, so I'm pretty sure this is a mechanical injury.
Basically I'm trying to figure out if there's any point in keeping the poor thing alive or if I'm just going to be prolonging its suffering. It's eating and swimming and trying to be normal, and I can't ever find it when I'm seriously considering removing it, so I'm inclined to give it a chance. Should I?

Will try to get a pic.

Gonna try to get a vid up.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is really sad, I think if he is getting food alright, and he looks like he is generally swimming alright just keep him. It is hard, because there is no way to know if it is suffering.

Side note question for you. I am very interested in getting a school of gold tetras, but have been told that they are truly not gold? What is your experience like?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He seems to be swimming a bit less awkwardly. Either he's in less pain or he found out how to swim, so I'll be keeping him. He's hanging out in that spot, so I'm just putting food on top of the driftwood for him to pick at.

Apparently the gold is caused by a thing that's technically a parasite but doesn't really do them any harm. It can sometimes die off in aquaria, and captive-bred golds may not have the color due to not having the parasite, but mine have stayed gold. If you can find some that are gold at the time of purchase, they'll probably stay like that, so just see if you can see them in person first- maybe at a LFS? And they really do look golden, like they were cast from metal. The one up there is a bit faded, they're gorgeous when they're healthy. A bit timid, though, so provide dither fish- other, bolder tetras or pencilfish are good. They'll school with glowlights, they're bolder in larger numbers (over 6 is best), and they do best if they have a place that they can dive into when frightened. I'd advise packing a back corner of the tank with plants, thick enough that they can go in and hide but won't stay back there if they want to swim around. Also very timid when thunderstorms are in the area, they can feel the pressure changes and will hide.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a gold tetra who had all her fins completely shredded. She swam very erratically, and ended up upside down half the time. Plopped her in a breeder box, administered a couple drops of melafix a day, and she's made a full recovery, so it's definitely worth trying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.