The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this sort of "carousel" diffusor, and I'm curious to hear if anyone has any experience with them. I'm currently running an inline CO2Art diffusor but looking at other options because of the microbubbles/ mist takes away from the looks of the tank. This solution seems to elongate the contact between the CO2 bubble and water to dissolve it. Doesn't seem to be overly popular as it's hard to find videos/ reviews of it, maybe there's a reason for that... Apparently it comes in different sizes as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-644600...-supplies&sprefix=co2+reactor,aps,244&sr=1-15
https://youtu.be/RLCuNgMivoc?t=103

·
Registered
963 Posts
That looks to be a slightly different take on the "co2 ladder". I have never used either method so I can't give an experienced opinion on how efficient either the Taifun or Ladder are at diffusion. I see bubbles coming out the top so I would personally think that neither one of them are very efficient. Hopefully someone that has used this method will be able to give a better answer.

If you are already running an inline/canister setup, look into either a Griggs or Cerges Reactor. I made a Cerges and it has been working very well for me for years.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
This is similar to the 'ladder' type diffuser that used to be quite popular. They both work on a similar principle (elongating the duration the CO2 bubble can dissolve into the water, before it reaches the surface).

They are OK, but you can see that a large amount of CO2 remains undissolved (the bubbles that reach the top of the ladder are essentially wasted).

If you don't like the mist that comes with the ceramic disc diffusers, you can consider inline reactors, which will generally have much less mist.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks to be a slightly different take on the "co2 ladder". I have never used either method so I can't give an experienced opinion on how efficient either the Taifun or Ladder are at diffusion. I see bubbles coming out the top so I would personally think that neither one of them are very efficient. Hopefully someone that has used this method will be able to give a better answer.

If you are already running an inline/canister setup, look into either a Griggs or Cerges Reactor. I made a Cerges and it has been working very well for me for years.

I've actually tonight been playing around with building a cerges type in a plastic bottle, copying off a youtuber. Can't say results were astounding but then again it was more for the heck of it. Do you have any links were I can read more on these reactor builds? I've been searching a bit but haven't found a recent thread without dead links that explains the math behind it.

This is similar to the 'ladder' type diffuser that used to be quite popular. They both work on a similar principle (elongating the duration the CO2 bubble can dissolve into the water, before it reaches the surface).

They are OK, but you can see that a large amount of CO2 remains undissolved (the bubbles that reach the top of the ladder are essentially wasted).

If you don't like the mist that comes with the ceramic disc diffusers, you can consider inline reactors, which will generally have much less mist.

I've only had pressurized CO2 for 6 months and been using inline diffuser (this one to be specific https://www.co2art.eu/collections/a...-inline-co2-aquarium-atomizer-diffuser-system ). Suppose it does a good job of dissolving it as I get nice pearling from the HC, but I find the microbubbles to be quite annoying. This is probably also emphasized by a black background. Really I'd be looking for 2 things, quiet operation and as little visible bubbles as possible. A plus for inconspicuous design. Happy to pay a premium for that, or go down the DIY route if you'd have any suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.