The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading so many posts about snail infestation in their aquariums. I did take the risk of introducing Tadpole/Wandering snails in my tank and they did multiply like rabbits.

I have read this solution about squishing the snails you could reach with your hands and letting the fish eat them. I did that and to my surprise ALL of my fish love it: the Angels would swallow them, the Guppies would tear the squished snails apart and Corys go crazy about them.

Today I just noticed my tank littered with many snail shells - I don't squish snails that often. Only today have I also noticed that only a handful are left roaming around. It seems the fish themselves are doing the work for me now which is great.

I am curious, does someone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I don't like it, but my livebearer fry have learned how to kill MTS.
The moment the snails do the water surface skimming thing, they get swarmed and ripped to bits.
I hate the shells it leaves behind, as it blocks the inlet to my gravel filter/siphon.
I just raise some mts in a 2L ice cream tub now. Occasionally when I make coffee, I'll pour an extra cup of water and throw a few slices of english cucumber in, to soften for a while, then feed it to the snails. They can eat bio film in between. I just dump the water down the sink and refresh with plain tap water. I chucked in 2 slices last night. I'f I tied some fishing line to it, I could have removed 95% of the snails this morning, you can hardly see the cucumber for the snails.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're fun to watch when they water skim.

I have also read about traps. It doesn't bother my filter and I siphon using a recycled water hose - large opening although I have yet to do it since my tank is far from being saturated with muck.

I have an image below. most of the brown stuff are empty snail shells and most of them are intact so I am sure I am not the culprit. Perhaps one of the suspects is that white Cory lol.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts