The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was wondering between these two types. What's the lifespan for T8 and T12? Are those T8 and T12 from hardware store safe for fish tanks? From what I understand, they might have the same strength however T8 has less wattage which is better, is that correct?

Thank you

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
T12 bulbs came first. Then T8 bulbs came along, and were more efficient, so the bulbs use less power to produce about the same amount of light.

"Shop lights" work fine on an aquarium. As long as they aren't right on top of a open top tank, with the water level very close to the top, I doubt that there is any problem with moisture using them. I have yet to see moisture on any light on my tanks, topless, with the light at least a few inches from the water. Remember, the light gets pretty warm, evaporating any moisture quickly. Only if the room gets pretty cold should you see any condensation on the light at night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.