The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I was wondering if a T5NO fixture would be sufficient for a 20g tall tank. It's a Dymax 2x14w, T5NO. What kind of plants could i keep? Would i need Co2 and ferts? The plants i have available in my area are cabomba, hygrophila, ludwighia, anubias nana, cryptocoryne, elodea, eleocharis, and various species of sword plants. On substrate i could use flourite and sand.

Is a T5NO be ok, or should i get a T5HO?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A 20 gallon tall tank is 16 inches high and only 12 inches front to back depth. I think a T5NO fixture with two bulbs will give about the same light as a single T5HO bulb fixture, assuming both have good reflectors. I'm basing this on some data I saw a year or so ago, that showed that T5HO is less efficient than T5NO, so it gives less light per watt than a T5NO bulb. If we assume that a T5NO gives the same light per watt as a T5HO, and it apparently actually gives more, then a 14 watt, 24 inch long bulb should give more than 14/24 or .58 times as much light as a T5HO bulb at any depth. That's roughly half, so two T5NO bulbs should give a bit more light than one T5HO bulb. But, a T5HO bulb gives about 80 micromols of PAR at 16 inches distance. That is high medium light or just high light. Based on that, a single T5NO bulb should give about 40 micromols which is low light.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
2 T5 NO will light a 20h but not brightly. I have a Coralife two tube T5NO fixture that I got cheap because it wasn't enough light for the previous owner. It is a nice light for a shrimp tank. I would call this 2 x T5NO low to possibly medium light.

A single T5HO with a good reflector will light a 20h very nicely.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies

The thing is, i'm starting a medical residency early next year, and i'm not going to have enough spare time daily to tend the tank, and need something that would keep the plants alive and thriving, even if it is very slow growth, but not to need to trim them every 3-5 days. And a T5HO i think that is going to push plant growth over the top (T5HO is what some reefers use for LPS and some SPS corals) and would need co2. The less i have to worry about the happier i'll be, :smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts