The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize as I am sure I should be able to figure this out myself but I just keep going in circles.

I recently received a 75 gallon. Its just the stand and tank so will need to get a hood, lights, etc. I am looking for low tech low light set up, not going to be super heavily planted.

Two light fixtures I am looking at are

http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-2x54W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52123p.htm

and

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Freshwater-Bright-p/56205.htm

Does anyone have any input? comparisons?

·
Registered
266 Posts
The led you posted won't grow anything and the t5- ho from odyssea have a tendency to blow up into a fireball. I would go with a finnex LED light.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
A Finnex Ray2 DS would be pretty good for your tank. They get good spread, too. One at first then you could always add another if you feel like you need more light. Alternatively, you could get a two or four bulb T5HO setup from a good company and adjust the bulbs/fixture height as needed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
While I've read of Odyssea fires with their metal halides years ago I've never heard of such problems with their t5ho fixtures. In any case the Ray2 is still the best choice nowadays, a year ago the Odyssea would have been the most economical option.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that the money you save when buying the Odyssea light is not worth it, and it won't take long to find out. I was lucky, mine just burned the bulb and melted some of the plastic and nothing more came of it. Maybe there was a ball of flame like some claim to have, but I wasn't there to see it. Save your money, and buy something worth while. PS the LED is also not worth your while.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Had a Current USA fixture fry while 3 others have provided years of great service.
Only posting because of the comments above on Odyssea fixtures.
I have 2 that are more than a year in service without any issues.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My mom had the odyssea t5- ho and it had some sparks and a small amout of fire when it blew out. The tank was near the couch and scourched the arm. Good thing we were home...

·
Registered
601 Posts
How old was the fixture? Mine is only eight or so months old and nothing like that has happened.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. Good to know about the odyessa. I had read several suggestions of them but had not seen the bad:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts