The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20g that i planted a couple weeks ago. it seems like my hc and dhg belem should be growing faster with pressurized co2 and ei dosing..

at the moment i have a dual t5ho aquaticlife fixture with the original bulbs it came with - one 6000k and one pink roseate bulb)

tl;dr - should i replace the pink bulb with another daylight bulb for faster growth?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I actually went to dual bulb fixtures to add the red spectrum on my low techs as the plants color up better with it (imo).

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would like to know

Not to sound patronizing, but where do you get published, reputable references/info on the growth rate of plants that you think its growth is slow after several weeks?

How close are your lights to water?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I read somewhere on here that the pink bulbs do not put out as mcuh usable light as say a 6000k. I had one in my tank and was having problems with the bottom of plants melting do to not enough light getting to the bottom of the tank. I swithced the pink bulb for a 6000k and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what?
where do you get published, reputable references/info on the growth rate of plants that you think its growth is slow after several weeks?
everything i have learned on fish keeping and growing plants has been off either youtube, fishtanktv, the planted tank, or aquatic plant central... nothing i have learned off the internet is published or reputable. based on what i have heard from other people and what i have running in my tank, i assumed there would be more growth

but anyways.. they are about 16 in from the plants

·
Registered
480 Posts
I actually went to dual bulb fixtures to add the red spectrum on my low techs as the plants color up better with it (imo).
I really, really, really debated going with a roseate bulb for my tank for this reason.
I ended up going with a 6,500k that peaked in blue/red spectrum and a 12,000k that peaked in blues / yellow because the fixture is used as a light for the room now :p

In person, the 6,500k bulb does a great job at popping out the colors, though it ends up being washed out by the 12,000k bulb imho.

My opinion is that a good 6,500k bulb can give a great warmth to a tank + being usable light without overdoing it. Then again I have never tried a roseate bulb..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.