The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 40 gal tank 18" high. I currently have T5NO dual output fixture with a 21W 6.700k bulb and a 21W colormax bulb. I am trying to gain some more light for my plants, and also aesthetics. I am looking at the Odyssea T5HO fixture but am I going in the right direction. Im not really looking to go the C02 system way, but I will continue to dose Flourish Excel. Will this light get me to the High end of low-Medium light? Will this much light promote a algae problem, and would I have to inject CO2? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
IMO I would say it would get you to the medium range, whether or not it will prompt an algae problem depends on wattage, how low you have it over the tank, and how many healthily growing plants you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Hey guys I have a 40 gal tank 18" high. I currently have T5NO dual output fixture with a 21W 6.700k bulb and a 21W colormax bulb. I am trying to gain some more light for my plants, and also aesthetics. I am looking at the Odyssea T5HO fixture but am I going in the right direction. Im not really looking to go the C02 system way, but I will continue to dose Flourish Excel. Will this light get me to the High end of low-Medium light? Will this much light promote a algae problem, and would I have to inject CO2? Thanks for your help.
I really like the Zoomed bulbs, they are inexpensive, readily available and have a good reputation. I ditched the "plant" bulbs long ago. I had ran a PAR meter under the light in the tank running and the PAR with the plant bulb was much less than it was using the combo of a 6500k and 10,000k which I feel gives a great coloring and plant growth.

here is a nifty chart that Hoppy has put together on various fixtures that gives you a good idea of where you are in the lighting scale.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105774

I have an Aquasun fixture (not known for the greatest reflector) over my 40b suspended 4" over the tank. I am able to grow any plant I want to, but need to use co2 or algae becomes a major pain.

Of course since the 40b is such a wide tank I have a 26 Watt CFL pointed at each of the back corners to keep that area well lit.

Ignore any WPG comparisons, the WPG rule was for T-12 bulbs and is completely useless for more efficient forms of lighting such as T5ho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts