The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Hi Hilde,

Regrettably the short answer is 'no'. I'm not 100% sure if bulb length and pin location (separation) are similar or not - but most importantly the ballast in the NO fixture is not compatible with the HO lamp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a dual T5NO fixture. After doing some research I found F14T5 bulbs Daylight 6500K (the F14 refers to 14 watts) at buylighting.com for $7.95ea. Shipping is about $7.00. I bought three. I am quite happy with the bulbs. They are "energy wiser" brand. We will see how long they last.
I was also happy with how the bulbs were shipped.....I have never ordered light bulbs online before....I was sure something would come broken! Everything came through fine. =)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It works fine... just dont run a N.O. lamp in a high output fixture.
I have done it...but only with catalina aquarium ballasts, the light is much brighter in terms of lumens. He probably would have to take the unit apart and research the ballast to see if it can do it.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a dual T5NO fixture. After doing some research I found F14T5 bulbs Daylight 6500K (the F14 refers to 14 watts) at buylighting.com for $7.95ea. Shipping is about $7.00. I bought three.
That is a good buy. What is the wattage of the original bulb? What is the exact length. Found in Home Depot some bulbs are .25 in off listed size.

The bulb I was looking at for my Coralife T5NO, which uses 18w bulbs, is a Coralife T5HO bulb, which is 31w. It is listed at LNT for 12.68 with no shipment fee. For website I had planned to purchase bulbs from, Pet Blvd, seemed to be closed down. It is up again, though. The price of T5NO 18watt bulbs has increased though. Thus going to check out buylighting. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I have both T5HO and T5NO fixtures.
I keep only T5HO lamps on hand. (As the ballasts die, I'm installing LEDs in the fixtures)

Electronic ballasts effectively read the electrical characteristics of the lamp and adjust to that lamp. Most, but not all, electronic ballasts can handle a variety of lamps and lamp types. Some, much better than others.

In my experience, and based on observation - not measurements - T5HO lamps in a T5NO fixture run a bit brighter than the T5NO they were intended for, but less bright than in a T5HO fixture.
T5NO will run in a T5HO fixture, and a bit brighter than in a T5NO fixture. They are slightly over driven and lamp life is shorter, but you should change them before they burn out anyway.

If you need or wish to stock up on 27w or 54w T5HO lamps, check out your local hydroponics shop. They sell more daylight lamps in a month than a fish store will sell in several years. Prices can be very good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.