The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6'x2'x1' tank and I'm currently running two 4 bulb t5ho fixtures with 2 10000k, 1 6500k and 1 pink bulb. Is this combination good for plant growth?

Tank has co2, aquasoil, ferts (EI method) and lights are on for 10 hours a day. No algae issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great! I think you will be fine. If you feel like you need more light, just lower them.

That's what I was thinking. That photo was actually a few weeks old. I've had good growth up to this day. I'll post a photo later.

I do wanna lower them but I don't wanna drill my wall again. Is there any other way to mount the lights? My tank is open on the top

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
For those type of lights you can try to figure something else out. Hang them from the ceiling maybe. But I think it will be fine. Some plants will grow out of the tank above the water, and even flower. I have had Bacopa flower outside of the tank.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those type of lights you can try to figure something else out. Hang them from the ceiling maybe. But I think it will be fine. Some plants will grow out of the tank above the water, and even flower. I have had Bacopa flower outside of the tank.

But the combo of my bulbs are good right? I really wanna try hanging them from the ceiling cause I want them to be centered in the tank. Right now since I have them mounted on the wall the lights are focused on the back of the tank. I do have glosso and marsilea hirsuta on the front of the tank and I'm still getting good growth.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The combo is fine. I would personally change the pink for another 10k, but its fine. If you have not started getting algae, I wouldn't touch it. And, I just noticed the cute CPO in the right corner! How old is the tank?

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Cool tank dimensions.

If your plants are growing and no visible algae then sit back and enjoy. If it ain't broken ...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
T5ho for a 12" deep tank?

The combo is fine. I would personally change the pink for another 10k, but its fine. If you have not started getting algae, I wouldn't touch it. And, I just noticed the cute CPO in the right corner! How old is the tank?

I love CPO's I have about 8 in the tank. The tank is a month old but all that's inside were transferred from a tank that was running for about a year. I transferred everything (including tank water) to the new tank. Didn't go through a mini cycle. This tank also has a 55g sump.

Just curious as to why would you change the pink to another 10000k. Is the pink not doing much for the plant growth? I have spare bulbs available.

https://vimeo.com/165490275

There's some hair algae on the aquasoil but that was from the older tank. My older tank suffered a really bad algae bloom. But I don't see it spreading.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
If you like the look the pink gives, I would say keep it. Other than that it really only helps for flowering.

Even though you transferred everything, it still might not have been enough time for the new environment adjust, and for new algae to grow. You should know soon enough. If you starting getting algae I would start with making sure the co2 is optimum, if its not the co2, I would just start removing bulbs and/or reduce the amount of time they are on before raising them. I personally think your tank has plenty of lighting.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you like the look the pink gives, I would say keep it. Other than that it really only helps for flowering.

Even though you transferred everything, it still might not have been enough time for the new environment adjust, and for new algae to grow. You should know soon enough. If you starting getting algae I would start with making sure the co2 is optimum, if its not the co2, I would just start removing bulbs and/or reduce the amount of time they are on before raising them. I personally think your tank has plenty of lighting.

Regarding the adjustment I do understand. Hopefully it does it soon but I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. All water parameters are in range. 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Nitrates stay between 10-15ppm. I'll pay close attention this week and next week to see if there's any major changes.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Regarding the adjustment I do understand. Hopefully it does it soon but I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. All water parameters are in range. 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Nitrates stay between 10-15ppm. I'll pay close attention this week and next week to see if there's any major changes.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
T5ho for a 12" deep tank?

Will I be able to achieve high tech lighting with 2 36" finnex planted 24/7. I'm planning on suspending the light 4" above the surface. So that is about 16" (a little less because of substrate depth) from light to plants.

How much par am I able to get from that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.