The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 48" DBP Solarmax T5HO 54w x 2 fixture that is 3 years old. Just replaced the bulbs with Geisemann bulbs. One side has started flickering not one/off but low/high light, so it stays off most of the time. I'm guessing it's time for new ballast. Each bulb is run independently on separate ballasts, I'll be replacing both. I see DBP lists the ballast on their site, but don't see them for sale on amazon. I've only done a quick search, so I'm sure I will find them somewhere.

My question is this: Should I use the DBP replacement or go for a different brand? I'm not really trying to over drive the bulbs but a quick search of this section brought up a few different brands. Thoughts? I've replaced plenty of ballasts on florescent fixtures so I'm not really concerned with the actual process. Just trying to get some input on which ballast to go with.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Have you looked at the ballast as far as quality of constuction? I have not used that brand but do have some experience with Coralife ballasts. When it failed, I took it apart to look further. I found the work terrrible so opted to replace it with a different brand. That might be the wa y to decide if it is a type which opens so you can look.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Check out Fulham Workhorse.

v3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts