The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ts my impression that T5 are better, cooler and throw out better lite than Powercompacts, if that is so how do they compare to LEDS and what in the long run will be the better buy and source of light for reef and plant tanks and why?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are you growing apples or oranges? And how much do you want to spend up front? What is your criteria for "better"? Cost Savings? Life Span? Initial Investment? Is it for a reef or planted tank? What size tank? What are you planning to grow? My point is that the question is loaded and simply asking what is "better" won't get you useful answer.

All sarcasm aside- What specifically are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay fair enough I was speaking in generalities as I personally have used Metal halides for the Last 25 yrs and would be considered quite experienced in Reef and Marine tanks having kept them exclusively for that time period.Now I am looking to set up another reef tank and a plant tank as this is the Last frontier in the hobby I have never attempted, but I have seen Gorgeous plant tanks over the last year and now would like to setup a 125 medium lite tank and concentrate on livebearers and catfishes with possibly some tetras and other community fish. Eheim canisters will be the filters for these tanks as also possibly Aquaclear filters for chemical media if needed. The tank will be 72x 18 x22 or 72x24x 20,Longevity and reliabilty spend once would be the primary goal to keep whatever I chose without second guessing! Currently I lean towards T 5 but am willing for other ideas/opinions, Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had T5's over my reef for 6 years and loved them. My mini M has a PC over it and so far it's good. I think the future is plasma not LED.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Will you need a fixture or are going to have a canopy???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to place a ready made fixture on or above the Tank and would like to buy locally so not to occur wait time and shipping costs not to mention possible breakage. Several stores in PA carry the coralife,Hagen and Aquatic life ready made fixtures Just which one is the issue now?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
For a T5 fixture look at the reflectors - does each bulb have its own reflector, shaped somewhat parabolic, preferably with a little peak right under the bulb, and are the reflectors made of highly polished aluminum. Are the bulbs crammed together, with reflectors barely bigger than the bulb, or are they separated by a few inches with reflectors more than twice the width of the bulb? (The latter is by far the best) Then, look at the construction - sturdy? Does it have a great ballast? I'm sure I forgot something, but those are important factors. I looked at the website for the Aquatic Life fixtures a couple of days ago - those look very good in the photos, but I haven't seen one to compare to the photos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts