The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read (sorry, can't remember where) that a T5 HO bulb is really identical to a T5 NO bulb, just better constructed to provide acceptable lifespan under higher power.

Is this true? And if so:

Will a T5 NO bulb function properly on a T5 HO ballast, like ODNO - providing light equivalent to a HO bulb but with reduced lifespan?

And will a T5 HO bulb function properly on a T5 NO ballast, providing light equivalent to a NO bulb but with increased lifespan?

The latter is more interesting to me. If the increase in lifetime before loss of lumens or spectrum shift made the bulb useless was great enough, it might more than offset the higher expense of a HO bulb on a tank where NO lighting was sufficient.

It would also allow the possibility of reducing light output on an HO fixture by replacing the ballast, but not the bulb. Connecting two ballasts (one HO, one NO) to the same HO bulb via switches/relays would provide 50% light for extended period viewing, and 100% light for burst period/max plant growth.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Will a T5 NO bulb function properly on a T5 HO ballast, like ODNO - providing light equivalent to a HO bulb but with reduced lifespan?
yes, but i don't have any info on life expectancy though.

And will a T5 HO bulb function properly on a T5 NO ballast, providing light equivalent to a NO bulb but with increased lifespan?
yes, but i just put that fixture together yesterday and have no idea if the bulbs will last longer. the ballast might also be doing more work than it should. i've noticed that the NO ballast driving HO bulbs gets warmer than driving NO bulbs.

i hope someone that knows more than me will chime in.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, but i just put that fixture together yesterday and have no idea if the bulbs will last longer. the ballast might also be doing more work than it should. i've noticed that the NO ballast driving HO bulbs gets warmer than driving NO bulbs.

i hope someone that knows more than me will chime in.
That doesn't sound promising. Thanks for the info!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.