The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's really hard to find (impossible?) 6500k bulbs for a 20" fixture. If you are ok with 10 or 1200k bulbs then you should be ok. I suggest going up to a 24" fixture. Most with feet will fit a 10 gallon tank fine, and 6500k bulbs are cheap and easy to find.

·
Registered
736 Posts
lol...I was just reading about this. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4195

In all honesty I don't think you need that much light. I've got one 23w cfl bulb and everything is growing fine...even some of the so called harder plants to grow...cabomba furcata, Ludwigia arcuata.

10g

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I would stay away from t5 fixtures. When I was setting up my 10 gal light I went to my Dad for advise. He said it would be best to stay away from using a t5 fixture be cause the 18" lights that you have to use are starting to go out of style. My Dad works at Voss Lighting which is a Phillips retailer, so he know's what he's talking about. I've got a DIY fixture holding two 27 watt cfl's over my tank. It works great and I don't have to worry about not being able to update or replace my bulbs because they won't be around someday.

·
Registered
752 Posts
that fixture I posted comes with 6500k bulbs. As for 18" T5 going out of style, doubt it. They are just coming "in-style" at places like Lowe's and Home Depot as replacements for the T8 and T12 under cabinet lighting.

As far as what you need, I use a 26W CFL Desk Lamp over my 10 gallon and have no problems with growth....

And the desk lamp cost me $10 on Craigslist and bulb replacements (6700k) are readily available at Walmart.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Here is what my fixture looks like. It's a touch lamp, but works fine on a timer. Someone else who has the same fixture I believe said it came from Home Depot. It came stock with a 6700K CFL 26W (think it's 26 or 27 something like that).

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That touch lamp looks like a great idea. Not quite what I'll be looking for though on my next 10 gallon project as I would like to keep hatchet fish, so a canopy will be required.

Nice tank BlueJack.

·
Registered
752 Posts
That touch lamp looks like a great idea. Not quite what I'll be looking for though on my next 10 gallon project as I would like to keep hatchet fish, so a canopy will be required.

Nice tank BlueJack.
Hmm, look closely at the top of my tank. You will see the handle for my Glass Canopy. I keep Shrimp and I don't want them crawling out. :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
So far so good. I have plants in every square inch of the tank and it seems like they all get enough light. I was worried about a spot light effect but that wasn't a problem. It's about 5-6 inches above the water line and the spread is good. I've got some A. Reinickii 'cardinalis' growing in the corner just fine.

Just curious...what bad things have you heard about these?

I chose this fixture based on this chart. The vertical bulb positioning gives out a lot more light.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.