The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help on light selection, coming from a marine reef background I know that lighting is an integral part of a tank especially planted and coral reef tanks.

This is my first planted tank so am still researching and getting my head around things.
Tank is 60x36x18inches, so should I be going for 2 lots of 2x54w T5 or a bit more?
Any help would be great.

·
Registered
745 Posts
you could probably get away w/ 2 single bulb fixtures (for 108w total)...18" isnt that deep and an 18" spread isnt that hard to work around...

two separate, single bulb fixtures suspended over the tank (probably <10") would give you decent spread and put you into medium light category (where you should start w/ planted tanks)

in high light [where you would be with that much light] everything falls apart quickly and the learning curve is extra mean....in low light, plants grow so slowly that you [may] lose patience...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Lighting Question

Good morning Jez...

I'm "old school" lighting and still like the Watts per Gallon Rule. Lighting is really pretty simple if you don't keep demanding plants. If you have lighting in the 1 to 2 watt of light per gallon of tank size range, you'll have success with most aquatic plants.

Almost as important as the lighting is the fertilizer. So, you'll need to have a good source for the macro and micro nutrients.

B

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies all, very helpful to have some insight from those with experience.
The lights I am looking at are a 2x54w unit with each tube having it's own switch so I could very well start with just the 2 tubes on and use the others down the track if I get to that stage.

Seems weird going from the lighting requirements of a reef tank (8 tubes+) for the tank size down to 2 or 4.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Thanks for the replies all, very helpful to have some insight from those with experience.
The lights I am looking at are a 2x54w unit with each tube having it's own switch so I could very well start with just the 2 tubes on and use the others down the track if I get to that stage.

Seems weird going from the lighting requirements of a reef tank (8 tubes+) for the tank size down to 2 or 4.
I agree, I have 4 T5HO tubes on my reef and 2 T5HO tubes on my planted tank. Both are standard 75 gallon tanks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I would start by hanging the lights a foot above the top of the tank, to get better spread of light from each one. Then a couple of two bulb 54 watt T5HO lights, spaced about 18 inches apart, should do it. You should then have about 40-50 micromols of PAR, which is ideal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once again thank you for all the replies, great to find a forum with laid back and helpful people. :proud:

Will be getting the 2 2x54w units then, hang them as recommended and go from there.
Fertilisers is something I am looking into but finding a local source for all things 'planted' is proving to e harder than I thought. Might account for the lack of planted tanks in general down this way.

Have heard hydroponics places can be good for ferts, any truth in that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.