The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was curious about the lighting that I need. I have a 140G that I am setting up. The dimension is 72x24x18 (LxHxW). I am trying to set up a low tech planted tank. According to the chart on sticky, 24 height and 2 bulbs T5HO is considered to be high. I was wondering for what wattage is it?

At the moment, I only have Java moss, Riccia, and Dwarf Sags which I believe don't need much light. Later on, I would add more low light plants in there.

I have been looking at either 2 bulbs 72 inches 160watt. Or 2 bulbs 36 inches 78watt for 2 of them. What do you think? is it enough? any suggestions?

thank you

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
It doesn't matter on the wattage or bulb length. 80W are 5 ft long.

You would need two bulb spaced about 6" apart across the width of the tank to get good light coverage. I would suggest getting T5NO or T8 bulbs if you want to go low tech. You will need to dose heavily and use pressurized CO2 with the T5HO. 2 or 3 T8 bulbs or 2 T5NO will get you in the low light area and let you have a low tech tank. Otherwise you will be looking at a nuisance algae garden.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.