The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was just wondering which one of these would best fit my tank?
The 4xT5 H/O 4x 39W
OR
The 8xT5 H/O 8x 39W (I want a night blulb or blulbs at night..)

i Want to go high techish just so i can grow about any plants. I will be injecting C02
Tank is 36L" 14W" 20H"
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
With a width of 36cm you will already get problems to place 4 T5 AND decent reflectors with a wider aperture (~9cm opening). I would try to get the version with 4 bulbs and a dimmable ballast.
8x 39w for a tank of that size ? what do you want to grow?

best regards.

Jörg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply,

I just want to grow about anything i want in this tank, im just not sure if just the 4x will be enuff. Its mountable so is goe's over the tank or i can hang it above. So you think i should just go for the 4x?

·
Registered
15 Posts
A few days ago i found a website (a marine one) where a guy mounted eleven! T5 (39W) side by side with less than 4cm distance between them. IMHO this is a waste of energy and money, in most cases better designed reflectors (and large ones) would have done better.
I cannot imagine that 8x39w tubes with reflectors will fit on your tank with 14 inches (=36cm?) ...It does not help much if you light the room around the tank ;-)
More light and even more light only makes sense when you make >ALL< other macro and microelements (CO2, NPK, iron, traces) >ALWAYS< available to the plants. Otherwise you will get troubles with algae.....(all of them and many of them)

i have 2x39W on a 100 liter tank (with excellent reflectors) and this is enough to grow more demanding plants. With 4x39 I would have to dimm it occasionaly.

regards

Jörg

·
Registered
362 Posts
on that size tank that is way too much for aplanted tank(8x39). Hell, the only reef guys that may be running that on a 36in tank would be SPS(small polyp stoney) coral growers and clam keepers, and even then they are just tyring to maximize growth and even then 1 metal halide could be used instead.

I feel the community exagerates how much light one really needs. I think t5's with good individual parabolic reflectors, one could grow mostly everything with 2wpg-3wpg. Additionally, actively cooled fixtures produce more par(intesity) then passively cooled fixtures. I believe active cooling also extends bulbs life(someone correct me?)

If you have a hood, go with the ice cap retrofits from reefgeek. The icecap reflectors are some of the best.

If looking for a fixture, there are the sunlight supply TEK units(i just ordered one although they are not the best, it was cheap and its for a low tech tank so i'm not to concerned). Aquatinics also makes several different units including the uber awsome solor flare unit and the economical TX5. Reefgeek will be getting ATI fixtures in the next few months. These are high end german made units and show it(and perform it as well).

Ice Cap Retro

Sunlight Supply TEK

Aquatinics

ATI Site in English

Too much light is only headaches. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts