The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaning towards T5 for my next tank. DIYreef.com is now selling an Icecap T5 retro kit that reasonable priced. I have thought about Tek Lights as well, but the Icecap is actually overdriving the bulb and I could run just 4 (~85W ea) instead of 6 bulbs that I would need on the Tek. If I do get it, I get the choice of any bulbs on there website. Here is what they sell of interest to the planted tank enthusiasts:

ATI Aquablue 12,000K
GE Starcoat 6,500K
Giesemann Midday 6,000K
Giesemann Aquablue Plus 11,000K
URI Aquasun 10,000K
URI Actinic White 12,000K

I have heard talk of the starcoats before, but not much about any of the others. Opinions (especially for those who have actually used them)?

I'd probably get about 8 lights in all so I can experiment with different combinations and have replacements ready.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Not on your list, but I like the Current USA 10000k and 6700K in tandem. On your list I would do the GE or Giesemann 6000K and the URI 10000K in equal porportions..

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Betowess, have you actually used/seen the Geisemann or URI 10Ks? Anyone else?

I will probably get 3 different types so i can mix and experiment (3, 3, 2, for 8 total). I'll definately get some GE starcoats since they are cheap, so that leaves 2 others.... URI 10K and Geisemann 6Ks?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Betowess, have you actually used/seen the Geisemann or URI 10Ks? Anyone else?

I will probably get 3 different types so i can mix and experiment (3, 3, 2, for 8 total). I'll definately get some GE starcoats since they are cheap, so that leaves 2 others.... URI 10K and Geisemann 6Ks?
No, but I heard good things about the URIs. I have used the Current USA 10000K and 6700K and they are my personal favs. Also have used Aquamedic Planta and 10000K and don't like the AM 10000K quite as much. My least favorite, but brightest is the GE starcoat. They are alright, as long as they have a 10000K in tandem, IMO.

BTW, I think bharada ( a mod) has used some of the Guisemann 6000K. You could PM him??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts