The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 24 inch fixture and was pondering on replacing the stock bulbs it has in it and was wondering if I should or if it'll be just fine with how its sitting atop of the planted tank.

The bulbs: Here's what the box says.

24 watt SlimPaq Freshwater T5HO
24 watt SlimPaq 10,000K T5HO

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
That is really far too much light for just a twenty gallon tank. I would use only one of those bulbs. That is assuming you have CO2 and ferts. If not, then one HO bulb is probably too much without raising it off the surface some.

That is all pending that this fixture has good individual reflectors

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its lifted about 3 or 4 inches off the tank currently I believe, Thus far plants don't seem to mind. I don't think I have a very good way to lift it much higher than it is without doing some modding.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Well your plants aren't going to mind the excessive light at all, but your algae will certainly love it. Are you using CO2 and dosing ferts?

Just checked out your sig and realized your system. I would be tempted to say that only one of those bulbs will be adequate for your tank. Check out the sticky in the lighting section with Hoppy's chart.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well did glance at that, fixture sits about 18 or 19 inches up from substrate, according to chart I'd be at high light maybe a little more than. In theory. Mean Algae maybe a concern but hopefully it all goes well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.