The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tank setup is a 40 gallon tall with two 36 inch aquaticlife dual lamp t5s on it 39watts each and just a few rotalla speciaes plants in it. i have a 305 fluval filter do 20 percent water changes every week. my water tests come back just fine but i still have algae growing at a rapid rate. if i do a 3 day blackout (before i put plants in) the algae would completely go away only to come back a short time later. tank has been running for months and is cycled also and grew plants at very rapid rates. my questions are.

1 what life expectancy should i see out of these bulbs one 6500k and one 650nm
2 what bulbs should i replace these with to help aid in growing plants.

3 any other areas that i havent thought of to try?

and also if im doing something wrong in posting this take it easy on me im a newb. thanks brandon from york, pa

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I doubt old lights are causing algae, exactly how old are they? Looks like you have quite a bit of light. Is the fixture right on top of the tank, or raised? Are you running CO2, and are you fertilizing, if so what are you using? What are all the parameters that you have tests for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
co2 no im using flourish excel and thats it.

one set of bulbs might be 11 months old the other 7. the one has a black ring around it so i know its definitly due.

lights are on ten hours ran on a timer.

my tests are nitrite nitrate amonia ph its an api kit not the strips.

the lights are on the mounts it came with and are about 4 inches from the surface of the water but the tank is also a 40 gallon tall.

the thing that gets me is that i had the tank set up before i moved and the plants were growing amazing and the fish were healthy even bread. then the algae started.

then i moved and set it up again and with or without plants i still get algae. before was well water and now its city water. to me it all seems to lead to the lights. if i turn a set off the algae growth slows down drastically but still grows

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
If you really have 4xT5HO bulbs over your tank, with no CO2, that's your problem. Start by removing one of the sets of bulbs. I'd probably remove the newer of the two sets, but you can start by doing either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you really have 4xT5HO bulbs over your tank, with no CO2, that's your problem. Start by removing one of the sets of bulbs. I'd probably remove the newer of the two sets, but you can start by doing either.

so your saying to much light. not enought co2 for the plants to starve the algae out.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Definitely turn off one set as kevmo stated.

I had the same problem with my tank using too many bulbs. I cut back to two and the algae cut way back but was still going. I added pressurized CO2 and an aggressive fertilizing program and it is almost nonexistent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely turn off one set as kevmo stated.

I had the same problem with my tank using too many bulbs. I cut back to two and the algae cut way back but was still going. I added pressurized CO2 and an aggressive fertilizing program and it is almost nonexistent.
presurized co2 isnt in the budget at the moment. will some ferts and flourish excel do?

·
Registered
199 Posts
CO2 is more than likely your problem. But even with CO2 you can still get algae if you dont have enough plants or if the lights are just too much.

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
presurized co2 isnt in the budget at the moment. will some ferts and flourish excel do?
Unfortunately, no. The high light increases the plant demand for both ferts and CO2. If either of those demands is not met, algae will take advantage of excess light. Excel is a very poor substitute for CO2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately, no. The high light increases the plant demand for both ferts and CO2. If either of those demands is not met, algae will take advantage of excess light. Excel is a very poor substitute for CO2.
figured lol. whats a good co2 system for a decent price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
so i have started doing co2 injection via the jello yeast and have it coming from the coke bottle into the tank and into the intake of the filter. i have had it running about a day and a half now and also have a drop checker to.

my question is how long until i raise c02 levels enough to notice it on the drop checker or a difference in the plants or algae?

i also raised my lights like i was recomended above.

is running the co2 throught my canister filter a decent way of difusing it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts