The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and found reference to such a thing but not where to get them. I am updating an old hood that has 2 X F40T12 bulbs. I have purchased a F54T5 fixture from a hydroponics supply and I would like to swap the ballast and bulbs into my existing hood. Can someone tell me where to get adapter plugs so I can use the existing T12 end caps with the T5 Bulbs? Otherwise I will have to create a new mount due to the shorter T5 Bulbs. Thanks in advance.

Rob

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Why would anyone sell adapter plugs to let you use 54 watt T5HO bulbs in a 40 watt T12NO fixture? You would need to replace the ballast in the T12 fixture, and that would probably be an old magnetic ballast, with different wiring, possibly with starters. It wouldn't be a practical product. The end caps are probably the cheapest part of the kit.

·
Banned
332 Posts
That is true Hoppy but if you are are overdriving your t-8s anyway as I do it might prove convenient. I am sure it must be more then the endcaps, If I could just wire the t5 endcaps onto my current ballasts/shoplights, I would go for it. It would mean overdriving the t-5s by 26 watts per tube. I cant imagine it could be that easy could it?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
While an adapter might be nice [I've never seen one by the way] it won't be as sturdy as bolting or riveting the proper T5 sockets in place. Before we get to that, One can light a T5 bulb with the ballast for a T8 or some T12 fixtures. Light is the operative word. I didn't say properly, correctly, or brightly. If you can't move your existing sockets, new ones are about $2.00 each and the better sealed end HO sockets usually run about $10.00 a pair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think everyone missed the fact that I have a new fixture with the proper electronic ballast. The problem is that the fixture is more of an industrial style and I would like to move the parts into the fitted hood I have for the aquarium. That being said the existing end caps are spaced 48" apart and as we all know the T5's are 46 and change.
The only reference I can find to adapter plugs is in the 7th post in this thread
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/52184-t-5-bulb-question.html
I thought they would be a little more common, perhaps I was wrong, that being the case I will just have to look at relocating the end caps.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts