The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I can tell that all of my equipment is getting long in the tooth. Most of my tanks have older T12 fixtures and they all had the old Triton bulbs. Now that my Tritons are slowly burning out one by one I am having to replace the bulbs with T8 equivalents (there are no good T12 bulbs made any more). The problem is my fixtures have a real hard time starting T8 bulbs. I am looking for a recommendation for a reliable ballast to retrofit my All-Glass and Perfecto fixtures. I don't need anything fancy like Icecap, just something decent quality and reliable.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I found an answer already. It looks like the Work Horse ballast is both reliable and cost effective. We'll see how it works.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Check your local home improvement store too. Most sell electronic ballasts. Any T8, ~120 volt one to four tube electronic ballast will work as a retro fit for your strips. If you use two of the outputs, you can over drive your T8s for extra light at a cost of bulb life.

Another possible source for inexpensive retro fit ballasts is electronic ballasted shop lights when they are on sale. The other day the local DIY store had two tube electronic ballast shop lights for $9.99. That beats buying a ballast at $14 - $20.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers, they are much appreciated.

One other quick question: do the starters have to be replaced as well? I don't believe they need to be swapped, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Starters have to be replaced when they stop working. They last far longer than bulbs do.

Electronic ballasts, don't require starters.

Yes, I know there are exceptions, but I doubt anyone here will run into one of those exceptions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts