The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My office is throwing away a lot of old T12 office fixtures, looks like 4 bulb wide.

Since I can grab a few for free, does anyone have experience converting to T5? I see a lot of different little adapters or conversion kits, but was wondering if anyone had done this and if there was anything critical that I needed to know before going ahead with this.

I am not sure if I would use this for my tank, but it would also be really useful for my indoor garden.

Let me know your thoughts on this, even if it is that its not worth it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
757 Posts
You would need to look at the ballast label. It will tell you what bulb configurations it can support. The end caps are different for T5 as well so you'd need to buy those.

·
Registered
9 Posts
T12 and T5 bulbs are different lengths so you would need to move the tombstones (the part that the bulb plugs into) closer, as stated above the T5s use different tombstones and ballast than T12. Basically all you would be able to keep is the sheet metal enclosure, and maybe some wiring.

If you were going to attempt a T12 to T8 conversion it would be very simple, new ballast(if the T12 ballast is electronic they can sometimes work with T8s, but if magnetic it will need to be changed) and bulbs and good to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.