The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming up with a temporary lighting solution for my 240 until i have the time and cash to build a LED arrangement. tank is 96x18x24 i will have pressurized CO2 and intend to follow EI dosing. The plants I want to grow in this tank are mostly low foreground plants (think hc, Glosso, maybe micro sword) I think i will start this tank emersed. I am trying to decide between 2 sets of either 2-3 54 t5ho from AH supply with individual reflectors. I recognize the advantages of med light for sustainability however I am concerned about the rate of growth initially using only 2 t-5's. I also have an old 4 55 watt pc fixture from odysea (total piece) that I am considering pulling apart and making into a retrofit for one of the sides using individual reflectors from AH. I am into any suggestions comments idea's. I am forever indebted to this board for the help I have received so far on the LED setup I am planning.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you are making your light fixture/hood, you could use 4 T5HO bulbs, with good individual reflectors, in two rows across the length of the tank, with the rows about 10 inches apart. That should give you about 40 micromols of PAR over the whole substrate, and not outrageously high PAR near the top of the tank. Using pressurized CO2, which you would need to do if you had even more light, would let you grow whatever plants you want. This is with the bulbs mounted so they are only an inch or so above the top of the tank.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it be exceptable to use the 2 rows of t5's and then a row of the PC's down the center? they would be on another cord so i could eliminate them once I filled the tank with water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.