The Planted Tank Forum banner

synodontis pertricola: cuckoo catfish

1228 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  lauraleellbp
hello all.

i have a cuckoo catfish which has been fine for ages...
BUT today when feeding the fish i noticed he has blurry eyes?
whats this from?

its like when a snake sheds its skin...its eyes go hazy to start with...well thats whats happened to my catfish's eyes...
is it going blind?
other than his eyes he is in great shape and is eating as normal.
my water stats are ok, no problems there, since noticing the catfish's eyes ive been keeping check on my stats. and nothings changed.
....so what could be causing this?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
hello all.

i have a cuckoo catfish which has been fine for ages...
BUT today when feeding the fish i noticed he has blurry eyes?
whats this from?

its like when a snake sheds its skin...its eyes go hazy to start with...well thats whats happened to my catfish's eyes...
is it going blind?
other than his eyes he is in great shape and is eating as normal.
my water stats are ok, no problems there, since noticing the catfish's eyes ive been keeping check on my stats. and nothings changed.
....so what could be causing this?
not for sure but it sounds like what my Oscar had i used some general sick fish medicine and it cleared right up idk if it hurts them or not but it sure doesnt look good
Checked your water parameters?

How old is the fish?
pfftt......well i dont know when the fish was born but ive had it just under 2 years.
and yes ive been keeping checks on my water parameter's
nothins changed.
I asked about age because cataracts are a possibility, especially if it's an older fish.

Other possibilities are damage (from fighting or scratches) and/or infections.

I'd keep a close eye on it, and if it appears to start getting worse I'd probably QT the fish and try an antibiotic in case of infection.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.