The Planted Tank Forum banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Found two dead puffers, uh oh history repeating itself? oh no....System handled it well though
A dead fish can cause way more damage than most fertilizers out there, just saying. Which it would be fertilizer itself.
Co2 is considerably lower. I did not see gasping or anything.
Slight algae has arrived/deritus, hardly anything noticeable, but its not the ferts. I'm dry dosing just once a week N. P K full dose to last the week, also csm/miller mix/ferrous mix dry dose, this is the point i think i believe i saw deaths, toxicity combination with co2, so i do believe toxicity but for plants plantwise it'd have to be way way more than ei levels. Even changed the levels down on rotalabutterfly out of gayness or something...
So fish is definitely gonna make this more challenging, but the system is still pretty kush.

Current full tank shot as of May 6th, 2017

buce moss starting to grow out

pantanal turning more red

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Thinking of redoing the tank, plants are nice and nice but the grouping and everything is now boring in my eyes.
I would first have to shell out $100 for 2 bags of new soil (africana) anyone know cheaper?
Not that the soil is bad, but i plan the recap
some shots

pods melting

recap, photos of more common syngonanthus
lago grande

madeira manaus?

manaus madeira?

belem 2013

less common
rio negro giant

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Dosing 30ppm dry dose of nitrates and u see how rapidly pantanal changes. This doesn't mean jack, it changes and adjusts just like any other ludwigia. Ie' hybrid red...Any change to water chemistry and you'll see a rapid change, whether its fertilizers, co2 etc...Its already bounced back but lights are off

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Did you check your co2 level before and after using powerhead? I did in mine. To give you an idea for me to run the exact same co2 level of 35ppm before surface movement was exactly 4.5bps and when I then turned on surface movement as you have I am now at 10bps. That is more than double the co2 in order to keep same level. Now I do not care as gas is cheap and my plants seem to do better with more surface movement and it allowed me to run even more co2 due to more o2 for the fish.

But to confirm the levels I took precise measurements before and after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I don't know what you're talking about clown. I do not use a powerhead.
Yes there is a gas difference and yup cheap
I've probably used way too much co2 all along and all this time but the plants i'm dealing with thrive in it
co2 is extremely lower because of the fish, otherwise i would definitely go back because i have not seen much ill effects in syngonannthus with high co2, they actually will thrive more

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I don't know what you're talking about clown. I do not use a powerhead.

Yes there is a gas difference and yup cheap

I've probably used way too much co2 all along and all this time but the plants i'm dealing with thrive in it

co2 is extremely lower because of the fish, otherwise i would definitely go back because i have not seen much ill effects in syngonannthus with high co2, they actually will thrive more

Oh no powerhead well does not matter same thing disturbing the surface is what I'm talking about. Either way I feel it's better overall for the plants and fish the good surface movement.

By more surface movement you are actually increasing the oxygen level 5%-15% which means you can run that much more co2. I am actually running 45ppm of co2 due to a lot of surface movement and the livestock are thriving in it and the plants pearl harder than ever. I feel good surface movement is very healthy for a planted tank running co2.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Oh no powerhead well does not matter same thing disturbing the surface is what I'm talking about. Either way I feel it's better overall for the plants and fish the good surface movement.

By more surface movement you are actually increasing the oxygen level 5%-15% which means you can run that much more co2. I am actually running 45ppm of co2 due to a lot of surface movement and the livestock are thriving in it and the plants pearl harder than ever. I feel good surface movement is very healthy for a planted tank running co2.

Great information, thank you clown. Do you have ppm ranges with surface agitation? how much ppm we are increasing by? thank s very much:nerd:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Great information, thank you clown. Do you have ppm ranges with surface agitation? how much ppm we are increasing by? thank s very much:nerd:
The information I learned from Tom Barr. He stated that depending on how much surface movement you do you are increasing the oxygen level by 5-15% and this therefore lets you run 5-15% more co2 without ill effects on the livestock since you are providing more oxygen for them. So lets say that you are running 35ppm of co2 with no surface movement then you decide to turn on surface movement and are giving your fish 15% more o2 then you can in turn run 15% more co2 which will allow you to run 5.25 more ppm of co2 which brings it up to 40ppm of co2. Now for me I can actually run more than that I am actually running 45ppm of co2 and all livestock is fine even my shrimp. I will try to find the post by Tom Barr that explains this.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
I AM DONE WITH THIS THREAD!

I think there is enough information on syngonanthus here...

To close down and stop new posts, however if you have any questions at all feel free to ask and i will reply that way

To continue viewing this tank
look for a thread
dutch-dutch hybrid or tree of woes some crap in the lines of that title...
The tank will turn into most likely a dutch hybrid as i probably cannot meet all the requirements possible in true dutch
Thats if i can even get close to even dutch hybrid

FLOWERS FOR ALL OF U ALL

141 - 155 of 155 Posts