The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescapted my tank almost 2 weeks ago in addition to adding more sand to my tank. Since then, my amazon swords have been melting. Some of my other plants have had some small amount of melting as well, but nothing like the swords. Any ideas as to why this could be happening? I've replanted them before and never had this result. All my water peramaders are the same. :confused:
I'm wondering if I should just pull them all as the particles from the melted leaves all all over my tank. My shrimp however, seam to enjoy eating the rotting plants.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's some pictures. They were just fine before replanting. I did add more root tabs when I did the replanting. They are sending up new leaves, but looks like all the current leaves are dieing. I don't mind if I need to just toss them out. I have new plants coming in the mail, but if it might be a problem with my tank rather then the plants, I want to fix that before planting the new ones.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Those plants look like crypts to me, not sword plants at all. Unfortunately I am no crypt name expert and I cannot tell you what species they are.

Crypts are notorious for randomly melting like that for unknown reasons. This can be triggered by any number of things - shifting the plant around, nutrient excess, parameter changes, etc. Nobody knows exactly what causes them to shed leaves like that.

They will recover quickly. Let them melt. New leaves will grow back soon.

Do you think you could take a few more photos of the plant? It would be nice to add them to my deficiency site (with your permission?).

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I just cut them down? The decaying plants are making my water look bad with all the floating particles.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean, can I just cut them all off and wait for new leaves to grow back since they are all dieing anyway?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.