The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I have a 29 gal planted tank. It has an Odyssea flourescent with 2 65 watt bulbs. I use only one of those bulbs for about 9 hours a day. (The other bulb is on only when I'm looking in the tank.) Gravel is Eco-Complete, the tank about two months running.

I have two co2 generators on the tank... I fertilize with dry ferts about 2 times a week. The plants look great except for one of the Swords which has been growing larger leaves, with shorter stems, when compared to the older leaves when I first got it. (There is another plant of the same variety in the tank right next to this one which appears to be fine.) I noticed yesterday that the newest leaves just coming out of the center of the plant are pale yellow and appear to be not so healthy. The old (outer leaves) parts of this plant are nice green and look fine.

Is it possible for an Amazon to have crown rot? What else might be the cause of this? Any suggestions?

I will continue to closely monitor this plant, if the 'rot' (or whatever it is) spreads to the healthy parts of the plant I will remove it from the tank.

Thanks for any help!
Rob

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are you dosing iron and root tabs? Sounds like there may be a deficiency. Why I move swords around or add them to my tanks it is pretty common for them to adjust to the conditions by shedding old leaves and shooting up new ones that are a different size. I have two amazons right next to each other that were added at the same time but are different sizes. The one has a larger root ball that steals the nutrients so I now add extra root tabs near the other one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Funny thing, I just also planted a new sword and have the exact same thing happening. I think it does have to do with emersed to submersed growth.

·
are you experienced?
1,989 Posts
most swords that go from emersed to submersed dont have many issues with rot or die off. is the sword your having trouble with a true aquatic, it may be a brazilian sword, they look like amazons but arent.
doesnt make much sense the sword beside it is doing fine and its the only one not doing well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts